Record number of Merit Scholars shows AU quality

The Plains just got a little brighter with record enrollment of National Merit Scholars.

"The enrollment of 134 National Merit Scholars summer and fall 2010 is a record, up from 64 last year," said Velda Rooker, director of University scholarships.

The significant increase in National Merit Scholars places in third, with the most National Merit Scholars in the Southeastern Conference.

Out of the 343 schools at which these scholars were enrolled, the University ranked 16th.

The Scholars not only bring intelligence and prestige to Auburn, but they also represent diversity throughout the student body.

"These students are also enrolled in nine of Auburn's 10 undergraduate colleges and schools, affecting student academics by demonstrating interest in a broad range of majors," Rooker said.

Annually, more than 10,000 students enter the National Achievement Program and approximately 4,800 receive recognition.

Of the recognized students, 1,600 are deemed semifinalists and proceed to the next level to compete for the National Achievement Scholarships.

Last year, the National Merit Scholarship Corporation awarded $51 million to more than 10,000 eligible students from across the United States.

To be qualified for the National Merit Scholarship Program, students must: take the PSAT/NMSQT (Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test), be enrolled in high school and be a United States citizen.

During the 11th grade, students take the National Merit Scholarship qualifying test or the PSAT/NMSQT.

The test is made up of three sections: mathematics, critical reading, and writing.

"Auburn is pleased that so many National Merit Scholars recognize the academic quality of Auburn University," said Wayne Alderman, dean of enrollment management.

Auburn University National Merit Finalists are awarded with tuition for four years, a technology allowance, on-campus housing for four years, invitation to the Honors College and an enrichment experience stipend.

"The enrollment of these students affects the campus by providing geographic diversity with 20 states represented," Rooker said.

The record enrollment is not only a feat for the University, but in regional representations as well. Among the 77 public schools which enroll the Scholars, Auburn is ranked second.

National Merit Scholars may be few and far between, but celebrities and political figures such as Stephanie Meyers, Bill Gates, Ben Bernanke, Elena Kagan and Jerry Greenfield (co-founder of Ben and Jerry's) are all National Merit Scholars.

National Merit Scholars bring promise to the student body, enriching the University, not just academically, but through their talents.

"The enrollment of National Merit Scholars raises the overall academic profile of Auburn's student body, a goal of the Board of Trustees, and promotes the academic reputation of Auburn University nationally," Rooker said.

Share and discuss “Record number of Merit Scholars shows AU quality” on social media.