Special needs organization to benefit from run, ride

Five hundred to 600 bikers and runners will not only work to improve their health, but will also benefit a nonprofit organization when they participate in the 22nd annual Love Your Heart Run and 4th annual Crank Your Heart Ride at Chewacla State Park Feb. 19.

Runners and bikers can chose distance variations that extend from a 1- to 6.2-mile run or a 3.5- to 22-mile bike ride.

Along with providing healthy exercise, the event gives participants a chance to help the Exceptional Outreach Organization, a nonprofit organization that benefits children and adults with special needs in the greater Lee County area.

"Running is very therapeutic for me, and I think Chewacla will have a very relaxing environment," said Brittany Matson, junior in secondary education.

Matson has attended other running events around Auburn, but this is her first year participating in the Love Your Heart Run.

EOO's support primarily goes to the Therapeutic Summer Camp, a joint project with the City of Auburn Parks and Recreation Department.

The camp runs for seven weeks, five days a week, from the first week of June through the end of July. Participants take part in recreational activities, life skill instruction, field trips, gardening and drama.

EOO also contributes funds to Best Buddies of Auburn University and Special Olympics of Lee County.

"A great aspect of our event is that 100 percent of the entry fees for the Love Your Heart Run/Crank Your Heart Ride go directly to funding the programs we support," said Bridget Wingo, president of EOO.

The event will also feature a local radio announcer, vendors by local sponsors and Aubie.

"Our goal this year is $12,000," said Jessie King, public relations specialist for the run.

Over the years, the run has given more than $70,000 back to the community, a statistic of which those associated with the Love Your Heart Run are proud, King said.

There are many options for registration for the run and bike ride. Participants can register the day of the event between 6:15 and 9:45 a.m.

Participants can also choose to register online or pre-register from 5 to 7 p.m. Feb. 18 at Golden Bikes on College Street.

A new addition to the 2011 run is a donation from Golden Bikes of Auburn, the Crank Your Heart Ride title sponsor. There will be a drawing for a chance to win a Trek Allant commuter bicycle, valued at about $1,000.

Raffle tickets for the bike are $1.

For more information, visit loveyourheartrun.com.

Share and discuss “Special needs organization to benefit from run, ride” on social media.