Varnadore leads Tigers past Highlanders

Casey McElroy throws the ball to first against Radford Friday. (Emily Adams/PHOTO EDITOR)

Runs from junior outfielders Creede Simpson and senior Kevin Patterson were all Auburn needed to secure a 2-0 series-clinching win over the Radford Highlanders at Plainsman Park Sunday afternoon.

"Sometimes it gets frustrating," said head coach John Pawlowski. "We hit some balls really hard this weekend that were caught, but our guys are going to keep working. We are going to figure this offense thing out. We have to find ways to manufacture runs; we had a couple of chances today but didn't get them in. Fortunately for us we had a guy on the mound that was pretty good today."

The Tigers showcased a strong defensive performance led by junior pitcher Derek Varnadore, who did not give up a hit until the top of the 6th inning.

Varnadore's 13 strikeouts are the most since Chris Bootcheck threw 15 against West Virginia on March 6, 1999 in Montgomery.

"That's probably as good of a pitching performance from innings one through nine that I've seen in a long time," Pawlowski said. "He was in complete command. The biggest thing is his fast ball; he had complete command of his fast ball. He did an outstanding job, and especially when we are struggling to score runs, we needed that type of performance. Certainly he gave us what he could to help us win today."

Auburn opened scoring in the bottom of the first after a double to right field from junior infielder Casey McElroy brought Simpson in for the score.

The Tigers scored again after sophomore outfielder Cullen Wacker hit a ball to center field to bring Patterson in to bring the score to 2-0.

Patterson finished the game with two hits and one run scored.

"This season so far, the balls haven't really been jumping," Patterson said. "We just have to find ways to win and get guys on base and get them in somehow. We had opportunities to drop some more guys in but Varnadore did a great job. That's all there was to that game."

Auburn threatened once more in the bottom of the seventh as freshman pinch runner Bobby Andrews reached third following a bunt from junior infielder Wes Gilmer, but was left on base.

The Tigers return to the diamond March 1 at 6:00 p.m as they face the Bethune Cookman Wildcats at Plainsman Park.

Share and discuss “Varnadore leads Tigers past Highlanders” on social media.