Champs begin preparations for upcoming football season

Gene Chizik instructs true freshman cornerback Jonathan Rose in drills during the first spring practice. (Emily Adams / Photo Editor)

For the reigning national champions, it's out with the old, in with the new.

The Tigers took the first step in defense of their title Wednesday, donning shorts and helmets for the first of 13 spring practices before the A-Day game April 16.

Until then, coaches will look for players to emerge to fill the holes left by 15 former starters.

"Lots of new faces out there," said offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn. "You know, it was good. There was a lot of energy you could see. There was a lot of excitement. I really felt like our coaches were excited to be out there, too."

Sophomores Barrett Trotter and Clint Moseley will battle for the starting quarterback position.

Malzahn said he would like to announce the player for that position soon after spring practice concludes.

Both quarterbacks would receive equal repetitions during the spring.

"It's going to be a good competition," Malzahn said. "I've got confidence in both these guys as far as knowing what to do. They both competed very strong today, and I think both of them had very solid days."

Moseley said he felt sorry for himself last season and threw a "pity party," but with the help of others, matured as the season progressed.

"For some reason, I stuck with it," Moseley said. "I've never been a quitter, but I wasn't where I needed to be."

If a starter is not named at that point, Malzahn said he would name one by the end of the second week of fall practice at the latest to allow the offense to practice timing.

Incoming true freshman Keihl Frazier will join Trotter and Moseley in the battle for the starting position.

"Every position in fall camp will be open," Malzahn said. "We're going to play the best people. The challenge for young guys is--specifically the quarterback is--you've got about two weeks to win the position."

Other positions need to be filled along the offensive line, which Malzahn said is even more critical to replace than quarterback.

"There's a lot of young guys on the offensive line that we're giving the chance to evaluate," Malzahn said.

The Tigers return only one starter, senior offensive tackle Brandon Mosley, and one other player with significant experience, senior lineman A.J. Greene.

"It's fun to see the young guys come along and see them progress (in the position) in which we need them now," Greene said. "So it's fun, but guys need to come along and fill the spots we need."

The Tigers also have to replace eight of 11 starters on defense.

Auburn, which led the SEC in rushing defense last season, must find three new starters along the defensive line, with sophomore defensive end Nosa Eguae the only returning starter.

New defensive line coach Mike Pelton will lead the young and inexperienced defensive line.

"There's a lot of pressure that's got to be put on them," Pelton said. "They've got to understand the urgency of development. You can't waste a rep. You've got to go out and compete every time.

"I think they understand that, but they're young. So you see them, sometimes, lose focus or lose concentration, and that just comes with being young. But that's my job as a coach: to make sure those guys get the most out of every rep."

Pelton said he thinks they will perform well along the defensive line.

"We've got some talent there," Pelton said. "We've just got to get those guys to come on this spring."

The Tigers return to the field for their second practice Friday at 9 a.m.

Share and discuss “Champs begin preparations for upcoming football season” on social media.