Living in the Lord's house

Whaley stands outside his residence at St. Dunstan's. (Rebekah Weaver / Assistant Photo Editor)

For some housing-seeking students, finding a place to live may be helped along by divine providence.

Several Auburn students are residents of local churches, living in apartments associated with the church.

"Right now I work at the church; I go to church at the church; I hang out at the church; and I live at the church," said Joshua Pierce, senior in mechanical engineering.

Pierce is one of approximately 15 students who live in a Catholic church building purchased by the Auburn United Methodist Church.

"I was already part of the college ministry at Auburn United Methodist," Pierce said. "My college pastor asked me if I would be interested in doing it."

"You're around people you know and it's a good atmosphere--people who kind of believe the same way you do and have the same values you do."

Pierce said low rent is another one of the benefits of living at the church. This was also part of the draw for Joshua Trowell, senior in English and resident at the Baptist Campus Ministry.

"When I tell (my co-workers) I don't pay bills and everything, they think that's a pretty sweet gig," Trowell said.

But these students said reduced rent isn't the only reason to take advantage of this opportunity.

"Living somewhere where God is first and foremost...I think that that's been the most useful and beneficial aspect of living here," Trowell said.

Rob Whaley, who lives in St. Dunstan's Episcopal Church, said location is an important aspect.

"It's one of the few places off campus that is also close to it," said Whaley, undeclared freshman. St. Dunstan's is on East Magnolia Avenue, just off College Street. "You don't have to get up early in the morning to drive over to the University for classes."

Pierce said one thing he didn't expect when he moved into a church was dealing with people who come to the AUMC for benevolent assistance.

"You just realize that you are a Christian, you are living in the church, and you've got to be kind of sensitive to that, and you can't overreact to it," Pierce said.

People knock on Pierce's door at random hours, sometimes looking for food, money or help finding a job. Pierce said he will do whatever he can, or he will send them to the church's front desk for further assistance.

"You are setting an example, and you are representing the church, whether you realize it or not," Pierce said.

Being involved in church matters is a common theme for each of these students.

"We're required to go to at least one service a week," Whaley said.

In addition, Whaley and his roommates are responsible for chores like cleaning up the kitchen, getting the church ready for services and locking the doors.

Trowell said in lieu of paying rent, students who live at the BCM serve as resident managers.

"It can be kind of draining," Trowell said. "It's kind of like you're in constant community. So you have to deal with being around people all the time and be willing to make room in your schedule for things like cleaning the bathroom or cleaning the kitchen."

But Trowell said the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

"You're living in a holy and God-filled place, and there's nothing better than that," he said.

Trowell said being a Baptist is not required to be a resident at the BCM, and he thinks this openness is not unusual for campus ministries.

"As much as they are backed by particular denominations, I think that they try to be as open as possible and allow people to have the freedom to explore their faith and try to make those decisions for themselves," Trowell said.

But some things are non-negotiable, and living in God's house comes with its own set of rules.

"The guys can have ladies in the common area, but we're not allowed to bring a girl into our rooms or anything like that," Pierce said.

Other things not permitted include tobacco and alcohol.

"It's associated with the church, and they just want to make sure they keep it a good, clean environment," Pierce said.

But Whaley said the rules at St. Dunstan's aren't as strict as expected.

"You've got a lot more freedom than you would think about living in a church," said Whaley, citing no alcohol and no wild parties as the only major restrictions.

Trowell said the rules he and his roommates follow line up with the Baptist faith.

"There are rules and things, but it's not one of those overbearing kind of deals where you're signing a contract or anything like that," Trowell said. "The idea is that because it's run by a collection of Baptist churches, there are certain things that they find important. So you have to follow those rules."

But a few rules won't stop these God-fearing students from living in the church.

Whaley said he plans to live at the church again next year. Pierce and Trowell will graduate in May, but said they loved the experience.

"Living in a church, God is kind of up front and in your face all the time," Trowell said. "You're living in a place where people worship and where people come to pray and where people come to share the things that they're dealing with."v

Share and discuss “Living in the Lord's house” on social media.