New common book attempts to move health care mountains

Auburn Connects co-chairs, Constance Relihan and Nancy McDaniel, hope next year's common book will peak students' interest in helping others.

Written by Tracy Kiddler, "Mountains Beyond Mountains" is the story of Paul Farmer, a doctor who follows his passion to help others in Haiti by struggling to bring health care to rural communities.

"It is a very accessible story," said Relihan, senior associate dean. "It is engaging and well-written, and I think he was born in Birmingham so it has an Alabama connection."

"Mountains Beyond Mountains" begins with Farmer in college and follows him on his journey to Haiti.

"It talks about the value of college experience," said McDaniel, executive director of educational support services. "It lends a conversation about finding your path that I think will identify greatly with students, faculty and the general community as we often all are looking at what is our ultimate path."

However, choosing "Mountains Beyond Mountains" as the next common book wasn't such a struggle.

Last year each member of the Auburn Connects committee was challenged to present five books that met the goals of the common book criteria.

After presenting each book, they narrowed the selection to three books including "Mountains Beyond Mountains," "Outliers" and this year's winner, "Three Cups of Tea."

Relihan said after choosing "Three Cups of Tea" for this year, the committee thought "Mountains Beyond Mountains" would be a good follow-up for next year.

The committee hopes to improve the common book's presence on campus next year.

"We are trying to get the program more rooted in classrooms," Relihan said. "When we did a survey in the fall, there were about 2,500 students who said they used the book, but I don't think it was as deep a use of the book."

She said the committee wants to create more intensive work with English composition and University courses.

However, they are also working to build a presence outside the class.

"We are going to be having structured discussion questions all year long," Relihan said. "I think during the fall last year we just figured after we had the Welcome Week discussion classes would just take over, and that wasn't the best way to do it."

Relihan said the committee is working to develop programming that can connect each college with different aspects of the book.

"I think we learned it takes all facilities of the University to have a successful program like this," McDaniel said. "A book like 'Mountains to Mountains' has so many themes that it could be used in many different courses and subject areas."

Some programming ideas include a film series, panel on nonprofit organizations' finances and an exhibit at the art museum of Haitian art.

Although the common book program was originally catered toward freshman, the committee is working on opening it to upperclassmen.

"I believe we will be expanding," McDaniel said. "Although we didn't prohibit anyone from reading, we didn't really expand the invitation in an intentional way, so I think we will be doing that."

One thing McDaniel said she hopes students will take from participating in next year's common book program is the willingness to help others.

"I hope that students through this program...will begin a lifelong commitment to service because I think that is the message here," McDaniel said. "Paul Farmer found his passion, and that was doing something for others, not because he was paid to do it, but it became his passion to help others even against some of the greatest odds."

Share and discuss “New common book attempts to move health care mountains” on social media.