Provost Mazey named president of Bowling Green State University

Mary Ellen Mazey, provost and vice president for academic affairs, was named president of Bowling Green State University in Bowling Green, Ohio, Tuesday.

"She helped guide us through some tough budget challenges in ways that made Auburn stronger," said Auburn University President Jay Gogue in a press release Tuesday. "We regret seeing her leave, but wish her all the best at Bowling Green University."

Mazey began her tenure as provost and vice president for academic affairs February 2009.

"I think probably my greatest accomplishment has been getting the faculty and the administration to work closely together and trying come up with new structures and ways of managing the institution," Mazey said.

Before coming to Auburn, Mazey was dean of Eberly College of Arts and Sciences at West Virginia University from 2005 to 2009, and she also held various administrative positions during a 26-year tenure at Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio.

She received a bachelor's degree in sociology and a master's degree in geology from West Virginia University and a doctorate degree in urban geography from the University of Cincinnati.

Mazey will succeed President Carol Cartwright June 1.

"There will always be a special place in my heart for Auburn University," Mazey said. "It's a great institution, and I hope I've just been a small part of making it even better. I've learned how to work with faculty and students and the outside community, and I'm going to take all of those learning experiences with me."

Share and discuss “Provost Mazey named president of Bowling Green State University” on social media.