Softball prepares to crush rebel forces on home turf

The women's tennis team defeated Boston University 4-3 and Troy University 6-1 at home March 19. This week, the Tigers prepare to host Vanderbilt Friday and travel to Lexington, Ky., Sunday to take on the Wildcats. (Philip Smith / Photo Staff)

After dropping two consecutive games in Tuscaloosa, the softball team (25-4, 6-2 SEC) swept South Carolina at home, a streak it hopes to continue this weekend.

The Tigers enter the series ranked No. 23 in the USA TODAY poll.

This could pose a challenge to the Ole Miss Rebels (10-21, 0-6 SEC), who have lost to all four ranked opponents they played this season.

"Our team is going to have to be up for the challenge of playing them on their home field," said Auburn head coach Tina Deese. "Their fans will be into it and will certainly give them that edge."

Ole Miss is coming off a tough series at home against No. 2 Florida.

The Gators dominated all three games, winning one 18-3.

Errors have plagued the Rebels, and four errors against Florida turned into four unearned runs for the Gators.

Several Auburn freshmen have stepped up this season, including outfielder Morgan Estell.

Estell went three-for-three batting against South Carolina with three runs batted in and a home run.

Also shining against the Gamecocks was junior pitcher Jenee Loree.

Loree allowed one earned run on three hits with no walks and seven strikeouts.

Loree allowed one hit in the first inning, but didn't allow another until the fifth.

"They came out tonight with the right frame of mind and swung the bats aggressively," Deese said. "Jenee did a good job against their hitters. She didn't issue a walk and kept them off balance."

During the second game of the Gamecock series held Saturday, junior pitcher Lauren Schmalz pitched a four-hit shutout and retired the last 11 consecutive batters.

"I thought our pitching and our defense were very good today," Deese said. "Lauren did a good job of attacking their hitters. Our infielders made plays behind her and really carried over the work we've done in practice."

The game marked the first time since March 24, 2007, the Tigers did not have a hitter strike out against a conference opponent, a span of 107 SEC games.

The series is slated to start Friday night at 6 p.m. at the softball complex.

Friday's game is military appreciation night, and all admission is free.

The first 150 fans entering the game will receive an Auburn softball dog tag and Brick Oven Pizza Co. will be sponsoring softball bingo.

Share and discuss “Softball prepares to crush rebel forces on home turf” on social media.