UPDATE: Four Auburn football players arrested

Michael A. McNeil
Michael A. McNeil

Head coach Gene Chizik released a statement that states the players arrested in connection to a robbery Friday have been permanently dismissed from the team.

"The players arrested in connection with this deeply troubling incident have been permanently dismissed from our football team. While we realize the legal process will run its course and these young men have a right for their case to be heard, playing for Auburn University is an honor and a privilege. It is not a right."

"We hold our student-athletes to a high standard of conduct on and off the field as representatives of Auburn University, and this kind of behavior is not tolerated."

"I am extremely disappointed and embarrassed by the actions of these individuals. I want to personally apologize to all of those who were impacted by this senseless act, including the victims, Auburn University and the Auburn family."

Athletic director Jay Jacob also released a statement on the incident:

"This type of behavior will not be tolerated at Auburn. I fully support Coach Chizik's swift and decisive action to dismiss these four student-athletes from our football team effective immediately."

Four Auburn football players were arrested Friday and each charged with five counts of Robbery 1st Degree, one count of Burglary 1st Degree and one count of Theft of Property 3rd Degree, according to the Auburn Police Division.

Antonio M. Goodwin, 20, Kowaski Q. Kitchens, 19, Michael A. McNeil, 22, and Harrison D. Mosley 19, are currently being held at the Lee County Detention Center.

According to a news release sent out by the Auburn Police Division, at approximately 12:25 a.m. officers responded to a residence at the 2300 block of Wire Road in reference to a robbery. According to five victims present, three black males entered the residence with one displaying a handgun. Personal property was reported stolen, but no injuries were reported. An officer responding to the area observed what he believed to be the suspect vehicle based on the description given to him from the victims. The vehicle was stopped in the 1200 block of Wire Road and four suspects were taken into custody. A pistol and the stolen property were recovered at the scene.

Bond is currently set at $511,000 for each person.

Atlanta native Antonio Goodwin, who played special teams and wide receiver last season as a true freshman, was expected to compete for a starting position.

Senior safety Mike McNeil, a Mobile native who was part of Auburn's 2007 recruiting class, was expected to be a starter and leader of a young secondary for the Tigers next season.

Tight end Dakota Mosley, of Little Rock, Ark., was redshirted last season.

Freshman Shaun Kitchens, of College Park, Ga., played special teams last season for the Tigers. He also saw limited playing time at wide receiver, catching one pass. He was expected to compete for a starting position in spring practice.

All three freshman were part of Auburn's 2010 recruiting class.

Check back with The Plainsman for updates.

Share and discuss “UPDATE: Four Auburn football players arrested” on social media.