Improving quality of life in Bolivia

The Engineers Without Borders program shows off Auburn engineers' creative sides.

"We are, I guess, groomed to think logically and linearly, but at the same time, that's just a tool to use to solve problems," said Alicia Denning, senior in chemical engineering and president of EWB. "Not every problem is gonna be solved in the exact same way. So that's where the creativity comes in place."

The Auburn chapter of EWB has a five-year contract with Quesimpuco, Bolivia.

The engineers' mission is to use creative problem-solving skills to implement sustainable, appropriate engineering projects to improve quality of life, according to Denning.

Denning said Quesimpuco is about 13 hours away from the nearest available resources, so things as simple as piping, duct tape or superglue are rare amenities.

"In a situation like that, you have to think way beforehand," Denning said. "Especially with the projects that we're doing, the sustainability aspect is making sure the local people can maintain it."

She said this includes projects like making waste reusable and using the benefits of solar power and elevation.

"I think most engineers know that the most successful engineers are the more creative engineers--the kind that can think outside the box," said Brandon Norris, senior in chemical engineering.

Norris is the leader of a solar water system project.

"It's about how to arrive at the solution to the problem by very, very simple means," he said.

Denning said thinking on your feet is important.

"You don't have stores there, so you have to think about, 'Well, this isn't working, so how do we fix it so that it might work some other way?'" she said.

Denning said her trip to Quesimpuco last summer changed her life.

She said it gave her a new passion to use the skills Auburn Engineering gave her to solve problems while translating them to real problems people live with.

"It's just a different way of thought," Denning said. "The creativity looks different."

Share and discuss “Improving quality of life in Bolivia” on social media.