Many gathered to 'Cho down' with jokes and food

Henry Cho brings a smile to faces of all different ages on a summer evening and brought a light hearted mood to the end of a hectic week for many.

The Event Center in downtown Opelika opened its doors to the Henry Cho's "Funny but Clean Comedy Tour."

Cho worked with Brian Bates and Karen Mills to create a show that was funny for people of all ages.

The evening consisted of a catered meal, two bars open throughout the show, two introduction acts and an act by the headline comedian.

From 6 to 7 p.m. a Korean meal was catered by Wilton's Catering, and the show began at 7:30 p.m. Bates and Mills opened the show with 30-minute acts, leading up to the hour-long act by Cho.

Cho related to the young and old alike through the funny stories he told about his wife and three children.

Cho's show has taken place all over the Southeast, including Tennessee and North Carolina.

Lisa Beck, owner of The Event Center, was able to persuade Cho to perform in Opelika on May 20.

Cho refused the job opportunity in Opelika the first two times he was contacted by The Event Center. After an email from Beck describing her transformation of the old Coca-Cola factory into a trendy event center and her desire for him to be the first comedian to perform at this venue, Cho changed his mind decided to take the job.

"I always had a dream of owning a venue, and then it became my husband's dream too," Beck said.

Lisa worked with her husband Chris Beck to restore the building in 2009.

The venue has been used for weddings, receptions and conferences.

Beck said they try to schedule a diverse and wide range of events at the venue.

Beck said she wanted the first comedy show to be a clean one.

"The show was definitely clean and appropriate for all ages. There was a pretty good turnout, and I think everyone was able to laugh at something throughout the show," said Mary Claire Sikes, senior in human development and family studies.

Cho said he was pleasantly surprised to see so many faces at the show.

Cho took the time to show interest in his audience.

After a series of questions directed to the audience, he would often choose one person and joke with them while getting to hear about the their life.

Share and discuss “Many gathered to 'Cho down' with jokes and food” on social media.