Eating healthy on a tight schedule

Chowing down shouldn't turn into pigging out just because you're on a busy schedule.

Between going to classes, studying and spending time with friends, trying to fit a healthy meal into their daily routines often proves difficult for students. However, there are a few easy steps students can take to reduce the hassle of trying to eat right.

Jessica-Lauren Roberts, registered dietitian at the University's Lifetime Wellness and Fitness Center, said the most common mistake she sees students make regarding nutrition is not reading the label, more specifically the nutrition facts and ingredients labels.

"We could save ourselves a lot of calories, negative effects on health and money wasted if we just read the label," Roberts said.

Dr. Fred Kam, medical director of Auburn Medical Clinic, said he also sees many students make that same mistake. Kam said he often observes students who choose to eat something that is quick and easy, like fast food, and do not take into account how many calories they are consuming.

"Be more organized," Kam said. "Inquire what the meal is made up of and look at the number of calories."

Leonard Bell, associate professor in nutrition and food sciences, said another way students often hinder healthy eating is by underestimating the impact that beverages have on their overall diet. Drinks that are high in calories can be consumed, said Bell, but only in moderation.

"Regular carbonated beverages, beer, yogurt smoothies and milk shakes all contain a lot of calories," Bell said. "Drinking water, diet beverages and skim milk will lower their caloric intake and lower their risk of weight gain."

Bell suggests that students also keep an eye out for nutrient-dense foods, which are foods that contain a good amount of needed nutrients. Potato chips, ice cream and candy bars are examples of foods that are not nutrient-dense, Bell said.

For students looking to get the most benefit out of what they eat, Roberts offers an easy solution: switch it up. Students need to be sure they eat a large variety from each of the five food groups, Roberts said.

"I cannot stress the importance of variety," Roberts said. "We need something of every color and texture."

Taste buds change over time, Roberts said, so people should always be willing to try food again in new ways.

Eating foods that are as unprocessed as possible is another step that students can take to have a healthier diet.

"Avoid eating everything in packages," Roberts said. "The closest to its original form in nature, the better."

While planning out healthy meals might be time-consuming, Kam said it is still better than relying on weight-loss alternatives like diet pills. Taking diet pills temporarily suppresses your appetite, Kam said, but it does not change your eating behavior over the long term.

Aside from making the person feel anxious, Kam said that diet pills have side effects like headaches, jitteriness, increased sweating, gastrointestinal upsetness, and they can also interact with other medications.

"Bottom line, it is a short-term temporary aid to a long-term issue," Kam said.

To stay on track of their health goals, Roberts said people should write down everything they ate and drank that day, as well as how many hours of sleep they got. Keep up with it for a few days, Roberts said, because it's amazing what that does for a person.

Finally, Roberts said everyone needs to have a routine checkup with their medical doctor to make sure their weight is appropriate for their height. Also, Roberts said, students should try talking with a dietitian and a personal trainer to discuss ways they can make good healthy habits to keep for a lifetime.

"College is the perfect time to build a foundation for health forever," Roberts said. "Every person has something they could work on."

Share and discuss “Eating healthy on a tight schedule” on social media.