Program provides tickets for heroes

For many students and season ticket holders, spending a Saturday tailgating and going to a football game is a privilege often taken for granted.

Gameday for Heroes is an organization based out of Columbus, Ga., that sends both current and retired members of the military to college athletic events.

Jana Tarleton, director of Gameday for Heroes, said it all started in August 2009 as a community service project for the Columbus-Phenix City Auburn Club to send soldiers from the Army Wounded Warriors Program to a football game.

After Auburn journalist Phillip Marshall wrote about their program on his blog, Tarleton said they started receiving calls from season-ticket holders across the nation who were unable to attend all of the games and wanted to donate their unused tickets to the cause.

Tarleton said more than 400 military personnel have attended games over the past two years, and it has not just been the soldiers that have been affected by the organization.

"We get to hear their stories and learn about them and many of the stories will truly touch you," Tarleton said. "You get to meet those that fight for our freedom and you get to put a face and a story with the ones we read in the newspaper or see on television."

Tarleton husband Mike Tarleton, who is vice president and treasurer, said the program has given him a greater appreciation of the sacrifices made by those in the service and their families.

Because of the program, he said he has been able to meet and get to know some who were wounded in combat.

"Some may be amputees, others have ongoing surgeries from shrapnel that remains in their bodies to this day while others may have post-traumatic stress disorder," Mike said.

"All of these things impact not only the wounded, but their families are impacted in a major way as well."

Mike said that the main objective of Gameday for Heroes is supporting the troops and America, not pulling for a certain team.

"One thing we have to remember is we all love college football, but when it comes to Gameday for Heroes, this isn't about the school and winning," Jana said. "It is about sharing the experience with our military heroes."

Mike said one particular experience he remembers is watching the Auburn vs. West Virginia football game in 2009, which was nearly rained out, with a group of soldiers scheduled to deploy out to Iraq the next week. When the storm hit, Mike said they ended up watching the game on television with them outside the stadium and had a great time despite being drenched.

"We later learned from the Command Sergeant Major that one of these men was about to leave the Army when his term came up because he did not believe that anyone appreciated what they were doing for our country," Mike said. "After his experience at the Auburn game, he decided to re-enlist and went on to support the efforts made in Iraq."

Jana said in addition to football games, they have also been able to send military personnel to basketball and baseball games. Staff Sgt. Rodger Williamson, 48, was the first soldier they were able to send to a baseball game.

Williamson said he was on Facebook one day when he saw a post by the Fort Benning Area Guide advertising a set of free tickets to a game the next night. Williamson said he and his girlfriend went to the Auburn vs. Ole Miss baseball game held April 21.

"It was a great night, and it was a great game, and it was great to know that someone somewhere cared about all the time I gave to the Army," Williamson said. "I know that I will always enjoy the memory of my night at an Auburn baseball game, and I believe that every soldier who gets the chance to go will also always remember their night too."

After enlisting in 1985, Williamson said he served during the Cold War and was mobilized for Operation Desert Shield/Storm, but only made it to Ft. Irwin, Ca., before the cease-fire was called.

Williamson said he also served directly in the War on Terrorism and in Operation Iraqi Freedom. Williamson retired in February 2009 with 23 years combined service in the Army, the Army Reserves and the Army National Guard.

When he finished his first enlistment, Williamson said he attended Auburn University, but transferred to Troy State University to finish his senior year and earned a bachelor's degree in history in 1995.

Williamson said he thinks Gameday for Heroes is a great program because for most soldiers, money can be tight from month to month. There are very few soldiers who would think to spend money on tickets to go to a college game, he said.

"Some of those soldiers are recovering from injuries related to their service, and they definitely haven't had a recent opportunity to go do something just for fun," Williamson said. "I think it's great that they can be given the opportunity to relax at a game and enjoy the spirit of the moment and be given a reason to go visit my old campus."

Jana said she hopes Auburn students will help spread the word about the program and encourages ticket holders to donate any unused tickets to the them by visiting their website or by emailing her directly.

"There should never be an empty seat at any college stadium when we have so many military that would love to attend games and take a day for themselves and their families," Jana said.

Share and discuss “Program provides tickets for heroes” on social media.