A day long gone, but not forgotten

Ten years have passed, but the memories formed on Sept. 11, 2001, are still fresh in the minds of many.

The impacts of the tragic day were not limited to those in the airplanes, the Pentagon or the Twin Towers, but touched people across the nation, including two current Auburn students.

Eric Philips, senior in psychology, said he remembers the day he found out his cousin, a firefighter, had died.

"My cousin, Joey, was 44 when he died," Philips said. "He wasn't even on duty when it happened. He was just that kind of guy ... an elite rescuer."

Joey Mascali was stationed at Staten Island when he heard the news, but left to help anyway.

Mascali rushed into the South Tower, but never came out again.

"I was in third grade," said Harry Hadlock, freshman in pre-architecture who lived on Long Island at the time. "One day I came home from school, and my mom told me the towers fell. I didn't know what that meant, though."

Adults and children alike tried to make sense of and understand the situation.

"After the first plane crashed, people were shocked and mystified, wondering what just happened," Hadlock said. "Then as it started to fall, chaos rose and people from all over the place were running away in fear. Then by the time the second tower started to fall, everyone was running and the cops and firemen were trying to reach the scene."

Hadlock's father lived only a block away from the towers, but was unharmed.

"I knew people who suffered from the loss," Hadlock said. "It was a tragic day."

Unanswered questions make it difficult for many to move on with their lives, Philips said.

"Part of the grieving process for some of the families who lost loved ones on 9/11 is to get questions answered," Philips said. "It is a permanent scar that will never permanently heal."

Hadlock returned to school the next day, not noticing much change in his everyday life.

"The only major change was the increase of security at the airports," Hadlock said. "There are now more cops, and people are more aware of threats."

Hadlock plans on returning to New York.

"It is a very good place to study the designs of buildings," Hadlock said. "Plus, it is my home."

Share and discuss “A day long gone, but not forgotten” on social media.