Costa Rican artisans pulling strings on new bracelet trend

A growing trend that took surfers by storm is now expanding to other parts of the nation.

Pura Vida--Spanish for "pure life"--bracelets are one of the newest fashion trends sweeping the country.

They came to America when, while visiting Costa Rica, friends Paul Goodman and Griffin Thall met a man named Jorge peddling the bracelets on the street.

The two ordered 400 of the simple woven-thread bangles, crafted by Costa Rican artisans, and a business was born.

The bracelets are available in a wide variety of styles and colors, from earth tones and neons to platinum beading, and each bracelet is completely waterproof.

Goodman and Thall partner with many grassroots movements, including the Surfrider Foundation, which is dedicated to cleaning oceans.

Pura Vida Bracelets is also a member of One Percent for the Planet and features a charity line of bracelets, donating $1 out of every $5 spent.

Currently, Pura Vida contributes to tsunami relief in Japan, breast cancer awarness and the University of Tennessee Dance Marathon, a nonprofit which benefits the East Tennessee Children's Hospital Hematology and Oncology endowment fund.

In addition to donating to world-preservation funds, the company has also taken more than 25 Costa Rican artisans out of poverty, providing them with full-time employment, according to Thall.

"Enjoying life slowly, celebrating good fortune and not taking anything for granted embodies the Pura Vida lifestyle," said Thall, now CEO of Pura Vida Bracelets.

Thall said the bracelets are sold in more than 700 retail stores nationwide, as well as in 12 countries.

The bracelets make their way onto college campuses through "campus reps."

Auburn campus rep Alexis Totin discovered Pura Vida bracelets this summer while working in Jackson, Wyo.

Totin said she met a stranger on the street who was wearing about 100 of the bracelets and stopped everyone who walked by to tell them of the cause.

"People don't even realize how talented these people are, and with the lack of tourism and low-paying jobs, these artists are having trouble making ends," Totin said. "I think it is great that Pura Vida is helping them out."

Totin said Pura Vida's cause is important to her personally because she has spent her life going to beaches and hates to see them polluted.

"I think the whole Pura Vida idea is great with the affordable, super-awesome bracelets that give back to some great causes," Totin said. "I hope as a campus rep I can give the students of Auburn plenty of information about what Pura Vida is all about and get them excited to participate in it themselves."

Thall said campus reps are the core of Pura Vida's marketing and allow students to join a group of Pura Vida fans who want to be more involved.

He said the company treats its campus reps like family.

"It helps keep the brand young and fresh and always evolving," Thall said. "Campus reps have truly expanded Pura Vida bracelets to the level it is at today."

Thall said he hopes Pura Vida Bracelets will one day expand to every large boutique, department and surf store around the world.

"We will also have a full line of products, accessories and clothing," Thall said. "Every piece will be consistent with our story."

There are two locations in Alabama where Pura Vida bracelets may be purchased, one in Guntersville and another in Mobile. The bracelets can also be purchased at PuraVida.com.

Share and discuss “Costa Rican artisans pulling strings on new bracelet trend” on social media.