How to wear: high-waisted bottoms

Annie Jackson from Behind the Glass models a way to wear high-waisted skirts. (Maria Iampietro / PHOTO EDITOR)

High-waisted skirts and shorts can be seen all over campus this fall. They can be worn to class, out to parties or even just lounging around the dorm. This trend is a go-to for women looking for an easy but chic outfit.

High-waisted bottoms can add flair to any outfit, so knowing how to wear this style correctly is crucial.

High-waisted bottoms just started getting popular about a year ago. Seen on runways from designers such as Derek Lam and Nanette Lepore, this 1970s style is coming back with a vengeance.

The pieces are best known for lengthening a woman's legs and shrinking her waist.

Women wearing a pair of high-waisted jeans could pair them with a tucked-in flowy top or a V-neck with a light vest.

Since high-waisted jeans are close-fitting around the waist, too much hug of the fabric can make a girl look curvy in the wrong places.

While some pieces can be less than flattering if worn the wrong way, many girls find the high-waisted look fabulous.

"I don't wear any skirts that aren't high-waisted," said Jessie Harrison, freshman in chemical engineering. "For my figure it's slimming because it accentuates the tiniest part of my body."

The same rules apply to wearing high-waisted shorts. Since showing leg is inevitable when wearing these pieces, the trick is to not show too much else. When wearing high-waisted shorts or skirts, a cute blouse that covers the shoulders is the perfect balance.

"I wear lots of high-waisted shorts," said Bailey Vaughn, freshman in physical therapy. "I like them because they are very cute."

Whether women wear them for style or to accentuate their figures, high-waisted bottoms are here to stay.

Share and discuss “How to wear: high-waisted bottoms” on social media.