MTV films at Auburn for show about sex, relationships

Known for his outright honest advice, Dan Savage, sex and relationship columnist, is taking it to the next level: MTV.

Having experience with Q-and-A sessions at colleges and universities, Savage said he's ready to bring his perspective on sex to television.

"Usually students are thrilled to have me come to school and kick-start open, honest and frank discussions about sex, pleasure and responsibility," Savage said.

The show, "Savage University," will feature Savage and sidekick Lauren Hutchinson traveling to college campuses and meeting with students in Q-and-A formats, offering them a crash course in relationships, sex and love.

"We really just hope that it's a place that students can learn and open up a dialogue, be heard and get advice from Dan, who's such a well-regarded expert in the field," said an MTV spokesperson.

Savage said the concept for the show began as he pitched different ideas and formats to MTV and MTV executives.

"It seemed, one\0xAD--so obvious, and two--almost too good to be true," Savage said. "I was basically already doing it and had been doing it for years. So the format was a perfect fit."

Savage also said most of what he sees on TV does not reflect the "fun, pleasurable and recreational" realities of sex.

"There are potential negative outcomes and consequences that we have to be aware of and informed about so we can make better, wiser and safer choices," Savage said.

"But in the end, we have a right to take some risks in pursuit of sexual pleasure and intimate connections with others."

Students' reactions to the MTV version of Savage's college talks have yet to be seen, as Auburn is Savage's second stop behind the University of Maryland.

"I trust that students at Auburn will enjoy the talk, and I'm not arriving with an agenda, contrary to what most expect," Savage said.

"Conservative college students who come to my talks expecting to be outraged often leave agreeing with me on lots of subjects. All are welcome."

The show is in pre-production and will air in 2012.

Filming will occur Sept. 27-30 on and off campus, with a taping from 6-9 p.m. Sept. 29 at The Hotel at Auburn University.

To participate, email savageshow.au@gmail.com and include name, classification and a recent photo.

Auburn students must bring their valid student ID and be at least 18 years old.

*Content has been corrected from original publication.

Share and discuss “MTV films at Auburn for show about sex, relationships” on social media.