New meal option added to Foy

Eager students wait to order lunch at the new Panda Express in Foy Student Union. (Alex Sager / ASSOCIATE PHOTO EDITOR)

Campus dining has recently added Eastern cuisine to the student menu.

Tiger Dining welcomed Asian-inspired restaurant Panda Express Sept. 6.

Located in Foy Student Union, Panda Express offers many Western takes on traditional Chinese dishes, including orange chicken, Kobari beef and egg and spring rolls, among many other selections.

The restaurant also features Wok Smart items, which contain 250 or fewer calories per serving.

Two entrees and a side of friend rice or chow mein is priced at $5.99.

"It's definitely worth the expense," said Braxton Tanner, junior in environmental design.

"When restaurants with a reputable brand name come on campus they tend to be stronger than the other locations on campus to eat."

The restaurant will be open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on weekdays, closed Saturdays and open from 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Sundays.

Panda Express is open five hours later than the other restaurants in Foy Student Union with the exception of Take Five, and it will be one of only two restaurants in Foy open Sundays.

"I think the availability of the restaurant being open on Sundays will definitely help it stay on campus," said Samuel Maddox, junior in architecture and interior architecture. "There are so many restaurants that come and go, but with the extended hours and the brand name, it has a stronger chance of staying here. I think it will be as popular and as strong as the Denny's is to the Village."

The line for Foy's newest addition grows quickly each day, twisting around the War Eagle Food Court and extending through the doors in the few minutes after classes let out.

Some have developed a strategy to beat the wait.

"I've got it down to a science," said Kaelyn Wedgeworth, freshman in political science. "I try to get here by the 20 so people will be held up in class."

Students said they have been impressed by the speed of the Panda Express service.

"Today was my first time eating there, and I was surprised by how fast the line moved and the efficiency of the workers," said Anna Henderson, senior in exercise science.

After a much-anticipated wait, Tiger Dining marketing is excited to have the restaurant finally open.

"We are happy it is now open and available to students," said Gina Groome, marketing manager of Tiger Dining. "We are also glad the students are enjoying it so much."

Share and discuss “New meal option added to Foy” on social media.