No qualms with poms

Caroline Dunklin, junior cheerleader, shows spirit during a home football game. (CONTRIBUTED)

Cheerleading is more than an enthusiastic spirit for junior cheerleader Caroline Dunklin.

Beginning her day four hours before kickoff, Dunklin is required to have all of her equipment and be fully dressed in uniform on the field.

She then places an assortment of spirit-themed signs around the sidelines for convenient access throughout the game.

A slew of appearances are then set up for the cheerleaders, including a tailgate set up by a cheerleader's family every game.

Tiger Walk is the next appearance in Dunklin's busy schedule.

"My favorite part of the day is Tiger Walk," Dunklin said. "We get to tell all the players and coaches good luck and slap their hands as they pass by."

The cheerleaders are then asked to participate in one of three events: cheering at the Auburn alumni tent, the Auburn Arena or the fan fest activities.

A sprint to the stadium to receive any necessary pregame preparations from the athletic trainers is the final step before warming up and cheering on the field before kickoff.

"You're constantly moving," Dunklin said. "There really is no break except for halftime."

After running from the tunnel in front of the players, Dunklin cheers between each play and after every important situation, such as picking up first downs or scoring a touchdown.

The 20-minute halftime break gives Dunklin and the rest of the squad time to rehydrate and eat a meal provided by their program director, as well as mingle with the opposing team's squad.

After another half of cheering, the squad forms a line in front of the tunnel, and the players file back into the locker room.

Singing the alma mater with the fans is the final step in a day filled with arduous activities.

"I spend about eight or nine hours from start to finish," Dunklin said, "but it really does go by so fast."

Although gameday lasts only eight hours, the preparation begins with two-hour practices four days a week, filled with rehearsing routines and performing certain moves.

Dunklin's dream of cheering for Auburn began in high school, cheering for the junior varsity squad and later becoming the captain of the varsity squad her senior year at Fort Dale Academy in Greenville, Ala.

"I've always been coming to Auburn games," Dunklin said, "but I was always watching mostly the cheerleaders, not the game."

Aside from the sporting appearances, Dunklin appreciates the local events the cheerleading program participates in as well.

Share and discuss “No qualms with poms” on social media.