Once a Tiger, always a Tiger; support remains for Cam Newton

Auburn is a one-of-a-kind place--a town that prides itself on community togetherness. There is a saying that everyone here is part of the Auburn "family."

Once a family member, always a family member. So is the case of Cam Newton, last season's quarterback and possibly Auburn's most recognized and scrutinized face in recent memory.

For those who may be unfamiliar with Newton's work in previous months, he was the electric leader of Auburn's BCS National Championship football team for Auburn's 2010 season. Newton was also a magnet for negative publicity because of claims of a pay-to-play scandle, earning him the nickname "Scam Newton." However, no formal charges have been filed against Newton or Auburn.

As with any close family, no single member is more important than another, but in this case, there is one who certainly attracts more attention.

Newton's talent and charisma, combined with the excitement and success he brought to fans and his team, led many to establish a lingering interest in his blossoming career--even though he no longer plays for the University.

It appears as though most, if not all, Auburn fans still care about Newton and continue to voice their support on social media websites such as Facebook and Twitter.

After joining the NFL in the offseason, Newton was drafted first overall by the Carolina Panthers, despite much of the commentary stating he lacks accuracy and the ability to play in a pro-style offense.

As a rookie on the field, expectations of Newton's performance were low.

Many said he would no longer be able to run the ball when things broke down and that he would have to become a better pocket-passer.

In the NFL opening weekend, the Panthers met the Cardinals as the underdogs, where they were supposed to be outplayed and lose big.

But starting quarterback Newton had a different outcome in mind. He stood strong in the pocket against blitz after blitz all afternoon, completing 24 of 37 passes for 422 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception. He also ran for another 18 yards and a touchdown on eight carries.

That makes Newton responsible for 440 yards of total offense and three total touchdowns, ending with a passer rating of 110.4.

To put Newton's game in perspective, he became the first player in NFL history to throw for more than 400 yards as a rookie in his debut game. Hall-of-Fame quarterbacks Terry Bradshaw, Jim Kelly, Bart Starr and Fran Tarkenton never threw for that many yards in a single game.

The only downside regarding Newton's stellar performance is that the Panthers lost the game.

It was the first loss he suffered since Oct. 31, 2009, while with Blinn College.

After the game, sitting in a folding chair with elbows on his knees, Newton was quoted as saying, "What you want me to say: It feels great? It's not a comfortable feeling for me."

Newton's dismay for losing is an even more encouraging sign for Panthers fans than his stat sheet.

While it was only his first game, the only question remaining is: how many are still "All In" for Cam Newton?

Share and discuss “Once a Tiger, always a Tiger; support remains for Cam Newton” on social media.