Tigers seek redemption after Clemson

Running back Michael Dyer sprints from an opposing Tiger at Saturday's game. (Todd Van Emst / AUBURN MEDIA RELATIONS)

After suffering their first defeat since 2009, the Tigers hope to get back to their winning ways when they host the Florida Atlantic Owls Saturday at 6 p.m.

The Owls (0-2) have strayed from the comfort of the Sun Belt Conference and faced a brutal opening stretch of games, starting their season with away games against No. 22 Florida and No. 17 Michigan State.

When the Owls have the football Saturday, two of the statistically worst units in the nation will be on the field: the Owls rank 120th in the NCAA in total offense, while the Tigers rank 117th in total defense.

The Tigers' (2-1, 1-0 SEC) low ranking can be partially attributed to the youth at every level of the defense, but coach Gene Chizik isn't using the lack of experience as a crutch.

"The certain problems are going to be solved by them executing what is called," Chizik said. "Whether it's a senior, none of that matters. We're in game four now. We don't have any new players."

Defensive coordinator Ted Roof knows his unit's deficiencies are not permanent.

"The good news is it's all fixable, and we want it fixed today," Roof said. "But there's no magic pill or magic dust that you just sprinkle on. It's just a process we've got to work through, that we've got to continue to grind. We're all part of it. We all own it. We've just got to keep grinding it out to get it fixed."

Roof used aggressive blitz packages while coaching at Duke University and the University of Minnesota, and he continues to do so at Auburn. He employed an aggressive defensive gameplan to counter Clemson's spread last Saturday, but the inability to pressure the quarterback led to Clemson racking up 624 yards of total offense.

"Part of the blitz is hitting the right lanes, attacking, pop the pads, all the things that go into that and the coverage element also," Roof said. "The coverage isn't where it needs to be to force the quarterback to hold onto it for an extra second."

Chizik knows improving the overall performance of the defense includes many different facets.

"We certainly need to simplify some things," Chizik said. "There is no question about that. Part of the reason tackling can become challenging is when you have played so many plays with the same guys. Now, that is twofold if we can't get off the field on third down. It's really kind of a cumulative effect in terms of us being able to function better on defense."

Auburn has had a potent offense under offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn, many times scoring enough to bail the defense out of trouble, but Saturday was an exception. The offense was shut down in the second half, scoring only three points, but Malzahn has confidence the offense will continue to develop as the season progresses.

"We have got to get better each week, we have to find a way of getting better at everything," Malzahn said. "I feel strongly this group will be a successful offense by the end of the year."

One way to jumpstart the offense is getting increased production from running back Michael Dyer. In the first three games, Dyer carried the ball 14, 18 and 16 times, respectively, averaging 7.5 yards per carry.

Chizik looks for that number to increase in the coming weeks.

"He's running fresh and well, and you can expect him getting the ball more as we move forward," Chizik said. "He was very productive, as we all know. That's the reason I'm saying our aim is to get him more."

Across the sideline from Chizik will be FAU head coach Howard Schnellenberger. Schnellenberger has been at FAU since 2001 and has been coaching since 1959.

When asked if Chizik would like to continue coaching as long as Schnellenberger, who is 77 years old, Chizik replied with a straightforward "No."

Chizik has great respect for the job Schnellenberger has done at FAU.

"He's been a tremendous football coach over the years and has had a lot of success and really started that program from the ground up and has done a tremendous job with that," Chizik said. "I don't really know him very well, but I have met him a couple of times, and I am very aware of the great job he has done over the years coaching."

On the offensive side of the ball, there are few bright spots for the Owls.They have a total of 185 yards of offense through their two games this season, managing a meager 52 rushing yards.

Junior quarterback Graham Wilbert has completed 18 of his 36 passes for 122 total yards. Running back Alfred Morris, who has over 2,000 career rushing yards, has been held to 37 yards on 24 carries this season.

The defense ranks 107th in the nation, giving up 451 yards and 42.5 points per game. The lone highlight of the year for the FAU defense was tallying three interceptions against Florida.

The matchup versus Florida Atlantic will serve as a game for the Tigers to regain confidence lost from the Clemson game and prepare for six consecutive SEC games. But Chizik wants this week to be about Auburn.

"It's not really about Florida Atlantic, really and truly," Chizik said. "This is a game where we've got to improve some things in practice and go out on gameday and execute the things that we feel like we need to improve on.

"It's very obvious that we need to play better all the way around as a team. That's the beauty of football: it's not about Florida Atlantic or anybody else. It's about Auburn, and we have a lot of improvement to do."

Share and discuss “Tigers seek redemption after Clemson” on social media.