Assistant coach Carrie Karkoska pushes swimmers to succeed

In her fifth year at Auburn University, assistant coach Carrie Karkoska continues to bring success to Auburn's swimming and diving program.

Karkoska spent two seasons as a graduate assistant strength and conditioning coach. As well, shecompleted her master's in exercise science at Auburn in August 2009.

Before she was promoted to assistant coach, Karkoska spent a great deal of her time in the weight room, her main focus being the diving, cross-country and gymnastics teams from 2007-09.

She then transitioned to serving in the role of assistant coach for the following three seasons.

"It's a good challenge and transition to become a coach," Karkoska said. "One is the credibility. People can be hesitant to see that transition from diver to coach."

Originally from Columbus, Ohio, Karkoska earned an undergraduate degree in organizational leadership and supervision from Purdue University.

Prior to moving to Auburn, she spent a year at Purdue as an intern in strength and conditioning. There, she worked mostly with the university's men's and women's tennis, men's and women's swimming and diving, cheerleading, softball and soccer teams.

Working with the swimming and diving team in particular was nothing new for Karkoska, as she was an accomplished diver herself only a few years ago.

Before her teenage years, Karkoska said she loved gymnastics, but she was ready to try something new.

"My mom was a diver, so she helped influence me to try something different," Karkoska said. "It was for a change."

That change turned into diving at age 13, and success followed Karkoska throughout her high school and college careers.

In high school she was a four-time state champion and a Junior World Diving Champion in 2000.

At Purdue, Karkoska set numerous school records, including her accomplishment as the first diver at the university to win a conference title.

She lettered all four years while on the diving team at Purdue and became a four-time All-American honoree.

Karkoska was also Big Ten Diver of the Year twice and competed in the U.S. Olympic Team Trials. To this day, she remains the platform record holder at Purdue.

In addition to all her own successes, Auburn swimmers and coaching staff agree that Karkoska is an asset to the staff and members of the team.

"She has an ability to connect with people, and she's always willing to learn," said associate coach Frank Bradley. "That and challenging, challenging others, which I think makes everybody better."

For her unsurpassed dedication, character and ability to succeed in her profession, Karkoska was honored by the Collegiate Strength and Conditioning Coaches Association (CSCCA), winning the John Stucky Award in 2009.

Karkoska said though challenges may come, the relationships she builds with the swimmers and the coaches are important.

"There's a big family aspect," said Megan Fonteno, Auburn swimmer and freshman in pre-pharmacy. "She's welcoming, and we come together as a team. People say swimming is an individual sport, but her and this college definitely make it a team sport."

Even while focused on coaching, Fonteno said Karkoska brightens each swimmer's day.

"She gives good advice not just about swimming, but also about life," Fonteno said. "She'll be there for you whether you're inside the pool or not."

The coaching staff agrees with the team members' impressions.

"The guys and girls do a great job with her as assistant coach," Bradley said. "They're able to understand whatever the delivery of the set is and the expectations of the set."

Out of the pool and away from coaching, Karkoska enjoys cooking and working out.

"I love them both," Karkoska said. "I guess that goes hand-in-hand. I love to cook, so I should work out, too."

Whether she is coaching or not, "it's important to enjoy all the small moments, just enjoy your experiences" Karkoska said.

Share and discuss “Assistant coach Carrie Karkoska pushes swimmers to succeed” on social media.