Warming up with winter jogging

Billy Callahan, senior in architecture, and Channing Broderick, senior in radio, television and film, take a jog around Toomers Corner Tuesday morning. (Rebecca Croomes / PHOTO EDITOR)

Winter doesn't have to keep runners off the roads.

For new runners, warmer winter weather can be an ideal time to begin training.

"Winter is not too cold, not too bad here," said Alvin Walls, member of Auburn Opelika Running and Track Association. "There's less risk of heat stroke, and it can get really hot down here."

However, once the weather dips below 45 degrees, it is important to layer.

"It's smart to wear gloves and a cap," Walls said. "Layers are important, but don't overdress. That's probably the biggest problem with new runners."

Adam Pugh, manager of Big Dog Running Company, agrees.

"You'll see runners when it's 20 degrees with just a hat and gloves because after the first mile, you start to get pretty hot," he said.

Although winter weather may stifle breathing while running, both Walls and Pugh prefer to run outdoors compared to running on a treadmill.

"I think it's more of a preference of inside running and outdoor running," said Christopher Squires, supervisor at the Student Activities Center. "I see the same amount of people inside, but I see a lot outside, too."

Lauren Boldt, senior in communication and avid runner, said she prefers running when the weather is cooler.

"I don't really notice anything different as far as health benefits versus the summer, but for running in general, I have more energy and peace of mind," she said.

As well as an outlet for stress, new runners can stay consistent through accountability from friends.

"It's a social thing to run with friends, and it will keep you going," Boldt said.

Boldt also said changing running routes helps runners steer from a mundane routine, as does running in races for a cause.

"There's the ROTC trail and the new trail on Moore's Mill, as well as nice neighborhoods in Auburn," Boldt said.

Walls said the key for new runners is to begin slowly through walking and light jogging, but progressing year round.

"If you go run, you might as well run all year," Walls said.

For more information on organized runs, go to auburnrunning.org.

Share and discuss “Warming up with winter jogging” on social media.