Your view: Christians not perfect

To every atheist we've called a fool, to every Jew we've ridiculed, to every agnostic, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu or anyone else we have misunderstood or mistreated, I want to apologize.

To every homosexual or any other person we've unbiblically and hypocritically ostracized, I want to say I am sorry. I am sorry for all the times a "Christian"--like me--has gossiped about you, cussed you, laughed at you, walked all over you or hated you.

I am sorry again and again. All I can do is shake my head in disbelief when I consider our actions, and I probably don't even know the half of it.

I am confident that if I knew everything we have done I wouldn't be writing you a letter; I'd be at your feet begging for mercy. This seems to be such an unworthy apology in comparison with the offenses we've committed. While I know that words are not enough, I do, at least, hope they are a start.

However, I must ask that you not let my hypocrisy and the hypocrisy of my fellow Christians distort your view of Christianity.

So please, do not define Christianity by the actions of those of us who claim to follow it, because even at our best we are not the true definition. Define Christianity by Jesus Christ.

If his name has become a cliche to you then give him another name. I do not care. Call him Bob if you must.

I do not mean the unrelatable stoic individual so often portrayed in church. The man who, whether you think him divine or not, was filled with such an amazing and incomprehensible desire for the people of this world that he died for us even as we nailed him to a piece of wood. Call him God or call him crazy, but he died for you and me. He is Christianity. I am a Christian. I am a failure, a coward and a chronic sinner. As much as I wish I could, I cannot promise that I will always love you, but Bob can.

I just hope you will take a closer look at what Christianity truly is.

Michael Waldrop

sophomore, pre-civil engineering

Share and discuss “Your view: Christians not perfect” on social media.