Loachapoka contest takes the cake

A 100-year-old cake recipe will be the recipe for success at the second annual Heritage Cake Contest at Pioneer Park Museum in Loachapoka.

The contest will take place Saturday and is open to bakers ages 12 and older with a $5 registration fee. The cake recipe must either be at least100 years old or have been passed down through three generations of the baker's family.

"These are cakes made from scratch the way your grandmother did it," said Bob Taunton, museum manager. "These cake baking kits from the grocery store are not allowed. This is real stuff."

The baker must be willing to share the recipe, and the cake must be baked by the person entering the contest.

"These cake recipes can come from anywhere," said Joanna Hoit, chair of the historical committee. "There is no restriction about where they come from, what country they come from."

Kerry Fannon, senior in nutrition and dietetics, said she plans on entering the contest.

"It's a nice community event," Fannon said. "I think food is always a good way to get people to talk and make new friends."

Fannon hasn't chosen her recipe yet.

"I might go for some kind of old Italian recipe," she said.

The cakes will be judged on taste, authenticity and appearance by a panel of judges, and $1 slices will be on sale after the contest.

"I suggest (people) bring a container so they can buy lots of slices and take them home and put them in their freezer," Hoit said. "And then, the next time you have guests, voila."

Proceeds from the day will benefit the cookhouse on the museum grounds.

"I think that people who love to bake love to see people appreciate the results of their work," Hoit said. "People who are cake munchers will definitely have a good time."

Along with the contest, there will be a Valentine-making station for children, entertainment will be provided and the museum will be open.

Registration forms are available at Panera Bread, Auburn Public Library and the Auburn Chamber of Commerce, or online at leecountyhistoricalsociety.org. Pre-registration is encouraged.

Share and discuss “Loachapoka contest takes the cake” on social media.