SGA candidates square off in annual debate

The SGA debate took place Monday night in the Student Center ballroom. Each candidate started with an opening statement then answered a series of questions posed by current SGA president Kirby Turnage. This year, candidates were only allowed a rebuttal if their name was specifically mentioned or they were gestured to by an opponent. The event began with the Miss Auburn candidates briefly presenting their platforms, followed by debate among candidates for treasurer, vice president and president.

The two candidates for treasurer, Richard Pettey and Michael Pittman, took the stage.

Pittman said he would make study abroad cheaper, Wi-Fi quality better, dining healthier and the registration process easier for students.

Pettey cited specific codes in the implementation of his platform, such as publishing budget information in The Plainsman. Pittman said he will make students more aware of the financial resources they have available to them.

Pettey countered this argument by stating, because of a 4 percent cut in the education budget, goals like Pittman's are not feasible with the money available to the University.

Pittman and Pettey debated how funds could best be used to better student life. Pittman said he was the only candidate with experience on the SGA budget and finance committee. Pettey quickly responded that, as SGA assistant treasurer, he sat in on those budget meetings and was familiar with every role of the treasurer.

Pettey said his opponent was promising a bright future in the midst of an economic crisis.

"Is now really the time to offer candy to students?" Pettey said. "Or is now the time for austerity and by offering realistic initiatives and fiscal responsibility?"

The two candidates for vice president, Melanie Smith and Joseph Dumas, approached the podium next.

Smith emphasized her experience with SGA senate while Dumas cited external political experience as his qualifications.

Both candidates focused on the role of senate in their platform.

"I would like for students to know exactly where their senator will be for their office hours," Smith said. "I would also like to post bill boards so that students will know what bills are being passed. I would like to broadcast our senate meetings live on Eagle Eye."

Dumas said he did not believe live broadcasts would be a feasible option.

"I find it hard to believe that senate meetings can be viewed live since the recording of this isn't live," Dumas said. "It's very difficult because the technology is very large and there is not enough people to carry this technology to senate meetings for it to be live."

Melanie said she discussed the possibility with Eagle Eye and the staff said it was an option they could look into to enhance the program.

Dumas said he wants to send an email with information concerning each senator and the meetings that will be held, because most students don't know enough about them. Smith said she believes it is the students' responsibility to seek out their senator.

The questions for the presidential debate were more involved, but there were no rebuttals among the candidates.

The four presidential candidates are Cary Bayless, Will McCartney, Owen Parrish and Joseph Cortopassi.

Bayless discussed his plans to create a master calendar for campus organizations. He said the excess of activities orchestrated by the SGA causes the organization to lose focus on what it was created to do.

"My plan is to better connect each of these annual events in SGA to these on campus resources," Bayless said. McCartney said his plan to make job interviews an excused absence for students has been met with a little resistance with the administration. He said they will have to devise a way to keep students honest.

"The only thing (Dr. Cary) is a little worried about is students abusing the system," McCartney said. "There's not really a way to limit how many job interviews someone gets."

When Turnage noted the freshman retention rate at Auburn is already at 87 percent, McCartney said he planned to increase this already high rate by making sure freshmen students have a place to get involved.

Parrish responded to questions about his plan to expand parking with a new deck.

He said this plan will provide safer walks to dorms and a place where students won't have to move their car for football games.

Along with plans to improve dining, Parrish said he will establish a registration help hotline.

"It's something I've spoken with Dr. Cary about," Parrish said. "It's a way for people to get in touch with these advisors, but not calling them directly, but having a go-between. This would be something that would come out of the Foy desk, so we could expand upon that."

Cortopassi spoke about his plan to create Student Legal Services, which will provide students with free legal counseling.

"It will have to be a pilot project when it starts out," Cortopassi said. "I would go before the concessions board and maybe go before the SGA senate to receive funding, similar to what was done in the bike program."

Other topics discussed were dining, parking, the allocation of funds, advising, sustainability, senate transparency and guaranteeing SGA executive officers will be available to the students throughout the year.

Share and discuss “SGA candidates square off in annual debate” on social media.