Alabama gear: always leave home without it

As I was walking down the Haley concourse last week, I spotted many different brands of apparel and accessories. I saw Polo T shirts, North Face Backpacks and Patagonia jackets. Making my way to the end of the concourse, I passed an Auburn female student wearing an Alabama Sweatshirt.

My blood boiled. I immediately had visions of Harvey Updyke, Big Al and AJ McCarron's chest tattoo. The assault on my senses continued in my theatre class.

One of my peers was sporting a hounds tooth scarf and an Alabama cap that particular class meeting. The cheery on top was receiving a loud roll tide as I was walking back to my dorm from dinner recently. Mind you, this verbal assault took place in Auburn.

I am not saying that the University of Alabama is evil, or that I wish it any harm. I also acknowledge that many Auburn students grew up with family who attended or who are just big fans of the University and its many teams.

I strongly believe that wearing a rival school's logo on its rival's campus is not only disrespectful but it makes one look ridiculous.

I have faith in the Auburn family because we hold ourselves to standards that not many strive for. These standards are based off a creed that embraces hard work, respect and compassion.

I know that you are free to wear anything that you want but I strongly disagree with the message these Alabama fans are sending. The Auburn people and its standards shouldn't stand for cheap insults and taunts.

So, I pose this question to the closet Alabama fans on campus. Why are you wearing that shirt on Auburn's campus? Do you think it's cool? This isn't Tuscaloosa East. You certainly won't find Denny Chimes mounted on Samford Lawn.

This is Auburn University, where we bleed orange and blue, where we work tirelessly for success and our self worth isn't based on the score of athletic events.

Sadly, I feel the majority of the Alabama nation has jumped off the deep end. They have made it their mission to ruin everything wonderful about Auburn and make this great rivalry thrive off of hate.

I have a family member that attends the University of Georgia. That doesn't mean I go around barking and have a UGA College of Journalism bumper sticker on my car.

I beg of you closet Alabama fans; Auburn is a safe haven that should be clear of anything crimson and white. Please silence your roll tides and place your Alabama gear in the darkest corner of your living space.

Share and discuss “Alabama gear: always leave home without it” on social media.