Men's team readies for SEC

<p>Blayne Barber was named a Ben Hogan Award Semifinalist for the second consecutive year in April 2012. (Todd Van Emst)</p>

Blayne Barber was named a Ben Hogan Award Semifinalist for the second consecutive year in April 2012. (Todd Van Emst)

After finishing third at the Gary Koch Invitational April 7-8 and first in the Hootie at Bulls Bay Intercollegiate Tournament March 25-27, the No. 2 men's golf team will travel to Sea Island, Ga., Friday for the SEC Championships.

The tournament will be held Friday through Sunday.

The third-place finish in the Gark Koch Invitational marks Auburn's eighth top-three finish this season.

Junior Blayne Barber was named a Ben Hogan Award semifinalist for the second consecutive year last week, and coach Nick Clinard said Barber is a vital piece to the puzzle.

"He is very deserving as he's extremely committed to being the best on and off the golf course," Clinard told Auburn Athletics. "His tireless work ethic has paid huge dividends for him and we are excited about his future."

The men's team hasn't won an SEC championship since 2002 and finished seventh in the tournament last year.

After the Gary Koch Invitational, Clinard said the team is playing well, but still needs to improve moving forward.

"We just need to clean it up and control our mind better," Clinard said

The men will have to qualify in the SECs to move forward to the NCAA regionals May 17 and championship round May 29 in Los Angeles.

Share and discuss “Men's team readies for SEC” on social media.