Auburn Police, U.S. Marshals, local authorities surround home in east Montgomery

Auburn Police, including Chief Tommy Dawson, is among multiple authorities that surrounded a Montgomery home in what could be connected with Saturday night's triple homicide that occurred at the University Heights apartment complex in Auburn.

Jay G. Tate of the Montgomery Advertiser is currently on the scene reporting that a State Trooper helicopter, up to 30 police cars and two ambulances are outside a house in East Montgomery on Barons Court.

"I received indirect confirmation that this incident is related to the Auburn triple homicide. Just a formality, sure, but now we know," said Tate in a tweet.

The helicopter dropped to within 150 ft. of the home and Tate reports that a group of "toughs" have entered the household, although a border collie is the only thing removed from the house so far.

U.S. Marshals advised Tate to remain at a distance out of the line of fire, according to his Twitter account.

Smoke was seen billowing from the house, which was later confirmed to be tear gas by U.S. Marshal Jim Alston.

"We've been throwing gas in there so hopefully we'll bring him out," Alston said.

Police have been searching Montgomery for the suspect, Desmonte Leonard, who is wanted for three counts of capital murder and have closed off the street.

There is no official word that Leonard is in the house.

However, Sgt. Regina Duckett, public relations liaison for the Montgomery Police Department, said there is credible evidence that Leonard is in "one of the residences."

"At this time we do feel like he will be found inside the residence," Duckett said in an interview with WSFA Montgomery.

Alston is also optimistic about authorities' chances of Leonard being in the house.

"If they start throwing tear gas in there, we're pretty sure it's our guy," Alston said.

Montgomery Mayor Todd Strange was slightly more reserved in his opinion, but said the person in the house is hiding in the attic.

"I cannot unequivocally say that it's the guy we are looking for," Strange said in a WSFA interview. "(But) we will wait it out."

Montgomery Sgt. Regina Duckett also updated the situation.

"We have been working with (APD) jointly since that time, when we got credible information the Auburn Police Department was with us," Duckett said. "We feel like this is a very credible report, so they have made their way down here now to support us and for us to support them. Hopefully we get this guy."

Police are currently in a standoff situation with the alleged suspect, who has not made any attempts to contact authorities.

Share and discuss “Auburn Police, U.S. Marshals, local authorities surround home in east Montgomery” on social media.