Tuscaloosa shooting suspect turns himself in to Jasper police

Nathan van Wilkens, 44, of Northport, is the suspect in the Tuscaloosa bar shooting, as well as two other crimes from the same night. (Tuscaloosa P.D.)

The suspect in a shooting rampage at a bar in Tuscaloosa turned himself in to police at a FedEx in Jasper.

Tuscaloosa police say Nathan van Wilkins, 44 of Northport, is the man who fired into Copper Top bar early Tuesday morning.

Van Wilkins was charged with 18 counts of attempted murder, one count of shooting into an occupied building and one count of shooting into an occupied dwelling, according to Tuscaloosa police.

The new charges bring Wilkins' bond to $2 million.

Wilkins allegedly walked around the parking lot of the store before he went inside and told a FedEx employee that he was "the one who shot 17 people."

Wilkins is being held at the Tuscaloosa County Jail on suicide watch for saying he wanted the T.P.D. to kill him.

A connection to a late Monday night shooting at a residence in the Indian Lakes subdivision in Northport may exist, said Tuscaloosa police. Police received a call telling them of an attack that left one person injured at 11:47 p.m.

Wilkins is also a suspect in a possible arson at Capstone Oil in Brookwood that also happened early Tuesday morning.

Brookwood Police Chief Randy Kizziah only gave a statement to The Tuscaloosa News and said someone set fire to three trucks in the Capstone Oil Field Services building and also set fire to a gas well rig. Tuscaloosa police are assisting with that investigation.

The shooting in Tuscaloosa was at Copper Top bar and left 17 people injured. Druid City Hospital said one person was in "very critical" condition and three were in serious. All other victims had been released.

Share and discuss “Tuscaloosa shooting suspect turns himself in to Jasper police” on social media.