Alleged Auburn shooter Desmonte Leonard indicted by grand jury on six charges, including capital murder

Desmonte Leonard
Desmonte Leonard

The Montgomery man who allegedly shot six people, killing three at University Heights in June has been indicted by a Lee County grand jury on six charges, including capital murder.

Court records show Desmonte Leonard, 22, has been indicted on two counts of second-degree assault, one count of first-degree assault, two counts of attempted murder and one count of capital murder.

The capital murder charge makes Leonard ineligible for bond.

No trial date for the sentencing has been set.

Auburn Police Chief Tommy Dawson is waiting until the warrants have been served to comment.

Former Auburn University football players Ladarious Phillips and Ed Christian and Opelika resident Demario Pitts, all 20, were killed in the June 9 shooting, while two Roanoke men, John Robertson and Xavier Moss, and AU lineman Eric Mack were injured.

The capital murder charges are for the three deaths and the attempted murder charges are for Leonard allegedly shooting at currently suspended Auburn football player DeAngelo Benton and area resident Turquorious Vines.

Leonard is also charged with second-degree assault, a class C felony, for allegedly injuring Roanoke native Xavier Moss and AU lineman Eric Mack, and first-degree assault, a class B felony, for allegedly shooting John Robertson, also of Roanoke.

Share and discuss “Alleged Auburn shooter Desmonte Leonard indicted by grand jury on six charges, including capital murder” on social media.