Lee County Flannel Club laughs its way to prominence

The unofficial logo of The Lee County Flannel Club, adopted from the old "Aubie" logo.

A dance collective? A flannel shirt wearing group? None of the above, it's an improv comedy troupe.

The Lee County Flannel Club was started by two Auburn University students, Ellie Learner and Kelly Holcomb, in the fall of 2011 after meeting each other at an improv show in Chicago and realizing that they were from the same hometown and wanted to start an improv troupe at Auburn.

"It was challenging," Learner said. "We had a few interest meetings and only two or three people would show up."

The group has since worked to add new members and work on improving their improv skills; preparing for their first show.

Leaner said the Flannel Club became an official club last year.

"We got the name from the fact that a lot of people that do improv comedy tend to wear flannel a lot," said Hayley Cox, senior member of the group.

Cox said that the troupe does short-form and long-from improvisational comedy.

The group has anywhere from 12 to 16 members at a time and auditions are held in during the fall of each school year.

According to Cox, auditions consist of playing games with the rest of the troupe and seeing how well people take criticism and quickly adapt to it and go from there.

"We just want to find people who just seem like they fit in with the group and it would be like a natural thing for them to join," Cox said.

The group also has improv workshops on every other Monday at 8 p.m. The next workshop will be held on Feb. 18.

"It has been awesome; just the people," said Joshua Perkins, group member. "It is so fun."

Perkins said that he joined the group because he wanted to be in f front of people and break out of his shell.

Learner says that the workshops are like open practices where people can come out and have fun and learn about the Flannel Club and see if they want to audition next year.

"I'm really excited. I'm nervous." Learner said. "I feel like we have come a long way already."

The troupe is having its first show Thursday, Feb. 7 in Haley Center 2370 at 8 p.m. and the event is free to all attendees.

"We've been working for a while and I can't wait until we have our first show," Perkins said.

The Lee County Flannel Club can be contacted through Facebook under "The Lee County Flannel Club" and @ImprAUv on Twitter.

Share and discuss “Lee County Flannel Club laughs its way to prominence” on social media.