Auburn asphalt technician thrilled to work with NASCAR

Auburn's National Center for Asphalt Technology has collaboarated with NASCAR in the past.

NCAT technician Mitch Pate didn't get to experience those moments, but when NASCAR came calling again, Pate relished the opportunity to work with the motorsports giant.

"It was a great experience just to get out on the track and see how efficiently the NASCAR personnel work together," Pate said.

For this particular project, NASCAR employed the NCAT to perform friction testing for the recently unveiled Air Titan track dryer.

"They called on us to do some friction testing trying to determine a number they could assign to all their tracks to determine if they met a good grip number after the rain and to determine if there were good track conditions," Pate said.

As a result. Pate, who describes himself as a "casual NASCAR fan" who stays updated on each race's winner, was sent to Daytona to run the tests and analyze the data.

"It was a privelege to be a part of the testing on it," Pate said. "I've been to Talladega but never to the Daytona track."

Pate said the NCAT has a device called a grip tester which does exactly what the name suggests: tests a tire's grip on asphalt.

Pate's job was to operate the grip tester on the Daytona track using other models of dryers as comparison.

He did not, however, get to work with the Air Titan and explained he was merely providing analytics for NASCAR.

The NCAT is one of the leading asphalt technolgy centers in the nation, and Pate said friction testing is a small part of what his company does.

"We're constantly trying to test and develop new methods and techniques and products used to better the quality of asphalt," Pate said. "We do everything from mix design to friction testing and other types of testing related to asphalt."

The Air Titan is an improvement over other track dryers.

According to the NASCAR Green release, the Air Titan will reduce the noise and pollution caused by the clunky, jet engine dryers being used.

The dryer will also "dramatically improve the race-viewing experience" for the fans, NASCAR chairman Brian France said in a statement.

Along with the NCAT, NASCAR also employed the services of International Speedway Corporation, Racing Surface Technologies, QualPro Inc, Elgin Sweeper Company, Sullair and Ring Power CAT.

Pate's work was but a small part of a immense project, however, Pate said he was satisfied to work alongside NASCAR on one of the sport's most prolific tracks.

"It was definitely a good experience," Pate said.

Share and discuss “Auburn asphalt technician thrilled to work with NASCAR” on social media.