Lights, camera, action: behind the scenes with Eagle Eye TV

Falin WIlliams, Devon Dalton, Sara Hopkins and Courtney Davis work on various aspects of post-production in the Eagle Eye office. (Raye May / PHOTO EDITOR)

Eagle Eye is Auburn's student run news station, funded through SGA, and has been around for 20 years providing entertainment for Auburn's campus.

The TV station produces five television shows including the news, Wake up Auburn, The Jungle, the sports show and AU X Factor.

"The Best thing about working at Eagle Eye or just working in TV in general is that every day is different," said Caroline Harrell, station manager. "There is never a day that is the same thing. We are always meeting different people."

Harrell said that shows produced by Eagle Eye are live-to-tape, meaning that they are filmed live but are not always aired live.

Depending on what is happening during the week, it typically takes anywhere from two to six hours to complete a show.

"I have worked on a project that took 15 hours of work before the production was complete," Harrell said.

Amanda Redfoot, news director, runs the only live show at Eagle Eye.

"I delegate the packages, I keep up with our anchors and I also have to write the scripts, build the graphics and direct and produce the show," Redfoot said. "It takes planning and preparation."

Redfoot said she typically has 11 people working under her including a technical director, a floor director, an avid, an audio person, a prompter, two cameras and four anchors. The crew does a run through an hour before the show is aired.

Harrell said that the studio space that Eagle Eye has is small, but it has character, and although it is small, you are forced to be creative with it and figure things out.

"I am constantly amazed with the people that work here because they are constantly figuring out different ways to use it," Harrell said.

Taylor Davis, junior in radio, television and film, said she joined because she was looking for hands on experience in the field she is aspiring to be a part of being in such a competitive industry.

"I needed something that would give me more than what I get in the classroom, and Eagle Eye exceeded my expectations," Davis said. "I am getting experience with camera operations, editing, reporting, anchoring and becoming much more comfortable with it all."

Davis said Eagle Eye is one of her favorite things she has been involved in at Auburn and believes it will be the one that benefits her the most.

"Experience doesn't matter," Harrell said. "We are Auburn students teaching other auburn students. You don't have to have any experience."

There are 11 people on staff including Harrell, the station manager.

Eagle Eye provides learning in all aspects in production of shows from being a camera operator to a correspondent to a floor manager to anchoring.

Tryouts are done at the beginning of each semester for anchors and there are different anchors for their news, entertainment and sports shows each week.

"Eagle Eye is a great way to not only get great experience, but I have made a lot of friends and a bunch of memories," said Josh Brunner, sophomore in journalism. "I would not trade this experience for anything, and I encourage anyone interested in learning about the field or just want to make friends and get involved, to join."

Harrell says getting involved is simple and just takes initiative.

"The best way to get involved is to just come to the meetings and turn to the person sitting next you and introduce yourself," Harrell said. "Make a friend. Take a story. Get involved in our shows."

Eagle Eye has its weekly meetings on Mondays at 6 p.m. and is open to all majors.

The station airs on channels 6.1 or 6.2 on campus only, but can also be watched at eagleeyetv.com.

Share and discuss “Lights, camera, action: behind the scenes with Eagle Eye TV” on social media.