Auburn baseball loses doubleheader

Justin Camp pitches for Auburn. (Courtesy of Auburn Athletics.)

The Auburn baseball team lost both seven-inning games of their doubleheader against Missouri Sunday, April 28 as their inability to score led to a 3-1 and 4-1 defeat. The losses dropped Auburn's record to 25-18, 7-14 SEC and the Tigers are now last place in the conference.

"We didn't do the things we set out to do," Auburn Head Coach John Pawlowski said. "Give (Missouri) credit. They out-pitched us, they out-played us and certainly out-hit us."

In the first game of the day, Missouri scored all of its runs in the third inning after two singles, two hit batters and a sacrifice fly that gave them the 3-1 lead. With the bases loaded, Keaton Steele hit a sacrifice fly ball to tie the game at 1-1 and then Dylan Kelly hit a deep single to right that brought in two more scores for Missouri.

Starter Michael O'Neal pitched all six innings for the Tigers and allowed three runs, three hits and had three strikeouts.

Auburn's only run was in the first inning off a Garrett Cooper single to right that scored Ryan Tella after he walked leading off for the Tigers.

The second game looked much like the first as Auburn could only score one run off of six hits and lost the series finale 4-1.

Auburn's only score of the game came from a steal by Hunter Kelley after a wild pitch went past Missouri's catcher, bringing home Kelly from third.

Missouri starter Brett Graves allowed just one unearned run on three hits in five innings pitching. The victory was his first of the season.

Auburn's chance of a comeback was stopped after having the bases loaded, Ryan Tella struck out and Jordan Ebert hit a pop fly to end the game.

Auburn returns home Friday, May 3 for its series against No. 12 Ole Miss starting at 6 p.m.

Share and discuss “Auburn baseball loses doubleheader” on social media.