Auburn baseball loses winning streak against Georgia

Michael O'Neal rounding out a pitch against Georgia. (Courtesy of Auburn Athletics)

After winning the first two games Auburn was not able to complete the series sweep in game two of a double header against Georgia in a disappointing 7-1 loss on Saturday, April 13.

"I'm Disappointed with the way things turned out in the second game," Head Coach John Pawlowski said. "We really did some good things in game one and I was excited about that and we did not get off to a good start in game two."

Things got off to a slow start for the Tigers after Georgia's Brett DeLoach hit a three-run homer in the first to jump out to an early 3-0 lead.

"When you don't get off to a good start it makes it tough and we certainly didn't help ourselves offensively so you put those things together there's not a lot of opportunities for us to win in game two," Pawlowski said.

Auburn would put up a run in the first also, but Georgia would extend its lead even more in the second with two more runs.

In the fourth Auburn made a pitching change replacing starter Will Kendall, who gave up four hits and six runs, two walks and one strikeout in a little more than three innings pitched, with Dillon Ortman.

Pitching changes would then become common for the Tigers. Auburn made five pitching changes on the day

After Ortman did not do much better giving up one run on three hits with no strikeouts Auburn would again go to the bullpen in the fifth bringing in Trey Cochran-Gill who finished with 3 hits, no runs and three strikeouts in three innings pitched.

In the top of the eighth they again made a change bringing in Matt Schultz who finished with two hits, one strikeout and no runs in a little over an inning pitched.

Trey Wingenter would then come in for Schultz in the eighth to finish the game.

"You look at our last few outings at Alabama and certainly Texas A&M I thought we've pitched pretty well at the beginning of games today was the first time we haven't given ourselves a legitimate chance to win," Pawlowski said.

None of the pitching changes were affective as Georgia cruised to the victory without much of a threat from Auburn the entire game.

Georgia has struggled this year winning only three conference games so far this year, and after such a dominating performance in game one today the Tigers were hoping for a sweep.

"Anytime you have a chance to get a sweep it's something special and it's tough to do," Cullen Wacker said. "Any opponent in this league can come out and anybody can beat anybody on a certain day and we just didn't get it going,"

While the Tigers are disappointed they were not able to pull off the sweep they still earned a series victory over Georgia and believe this is something they can build on.

"We took two from Texas A&M, two this weekend and then we go to Mississippi State. It's pretty good momentum will see what we can do Tuesday and gain more momentum going into Mississippi State," Ryan Tella said.

Auburn will return to action on Tuesday April 16 at Samford.

Share and discuss “Auburn baseball loses winning streak against Georgia” on social media.