Her view: Spring fever everywhere but the Plains

It's finally starting to warm up again, and that means we can all look forward to pool time, cookouts, summer clothes, music festivals, and of course, baseball.

As an Atlanta Braves fan, I was fortunate enough to have tickets to the opening game at Turner Field to watch the Braves take on the Phillies. And those who have ever been to an opening game know that not much comes close to it.

I didn't always see it this way, however. Growing up with a dad who was infatuated with Braves baseball, I was constantly getting dragged to the games. And at the age of 8 or 9, I would have much rather been shopping at Limited Too or Abercrombie Kids than watching baseball. I mainly went for the Dip-N-Dots. \0x2028Fast-forward to now, and it's hard to believe that's how I used to be. I've now racked up a Prado, Freeman, Heyward and obviously a Chipper Jones shirt. At the opening game on Monday, I proudly wore my Jason Heyward shirt, and couldn't wait for that first pitch to be thrown.

For anyone who was at the game, you know you could just feel the excitement throughout the park. After a crazy ruling on a so-called "infield fly" that ended the season last year, fans were back and more than ready for the Braves to finally take it all the way this year. And we might actually have the team to do it. After homeruns from Uggla, Freeman and newcomer Justin Upton, the Braves beat the Phillies in a 7-5 victory--and it was exciting the whole time.

All baseball fans can attest to that awesome feeling and familiarity that comes with tailgating before a game, as well as the sounds and smells that come with being at the game in general.

Cheesy, but true. \0x2028 Especially for Atlanta Braves' fans, Turner Field feels like one big family, particularly when everyone does the Tomahawk chop together. After all, "this is why we chop."

While there are many major league baseball fans, it's about time we come together and support our team that we have right here in Auburn, because this is where it all starts.

Braves starting pitcher Tim Hudson, as well as previous Braves catcher David Ross, played here before getting drafted. There is always an outpouring of support for the football team here, but not as much for the baseball team. These guys, as well as all other underrated sports in Auburn, deserve the same support we give to the football team.

So if you haven't been to one yet, go experience an Auburn baseball game. Even if you may not be an avid baseball fan, or even a sports fan, you can still enjoy the warm weather, good food and good friends.

Share and discuss “Her view: Spring fever everywhere but the Plains” on social media.