Auburn baseball loses 5-4 to Florida

Auburn baseball's hot streak came to an end Saturday, May 11 as the No. 19 Florida Gators came back from a 4-1 deficit in the bottom of the ninth, tying the series by winning 5-4.

One out away from a complete game, Auburn starter Michael O'Neal gave up a shocking three-run homerun by Josh Tobias that tied the game 4-4. Reid Carter came in to grab the final out and send the game into extra innings, but the Gators walked and hit a single to right field that gave them the win.

In the first eight innings Florida had only four hits and one earned run against O'Neal. Then in the ninth, O'Neal allowed two runners on base, hitting one with a pitch and giving up a single through the left side before Tobias hit a deep ball over the left field wall to tie the game.

Patrick Savage led the Tigers with four hits at four at bats and recorded an RBI single in the third to put the Tigers up 2-0. Hunter Kelley hit a homerun in the eighth to give Auburn a 3-1 lead followed by a Blake Austin homer in the ninth that looked to put the game away for Auburn.

Auburn is now 30-20 overall on the season and 10-16 in the SEC. The series deciding game against Florida will be played Sunday, May 12 in Gainesville at noon.

Share and discuss “Auburn baseball loses 5-4 to Florida” on social media.