Date set for next hearing

Desmonte Leonard.
Desmonte Leonard.

Desmonte Leonard's trial date has yet to be determined, but Judge Jacob Walker has scheduled another status hearing for Leonard.

Leonard is scheduled to appear before Walker Oct. 15 at 2 p.m.

Leonard's May 16 status conference resulted in Walker having some reservations about both sides' readiness for a trial.

Leonard's attorneys, Susan James and Jeffery Duffey, said at the last hearing that they were hoping for a trial by October or November after what James called a record-fast indictment.

However the pair is also intent on gaining permission to bring Leonard back to the scene of the crime.

District Attorney Robert Treese opposed the motion, and said he had reservations about a "capital murder defendant (being) forced upon a private landowner."

Treese's concerns include public safety, a possible media circus and the chance that Leonard's attorneys could take Leonard to other places should Judge Walker grant them permission to bring him to the apartment complex formerly known as University Heights.

Since his indictment, Leonard has been scheduled for two status conferences.

However, for the first one, scheduled for March 20, was postponed because Leonard was forgotten in Montgomery where he is held.

The May 16 hearing was the replacement for the botched hearing.

August 27 Leonard was indicted by the grand jury for one count of capital murder for allegedly killing Demario Pitts and former Auburn football players Ladarious Phillips and Ed Christian.

He was also indicted on two counts of attempted murder for allegedly shooting at Turquorius Vines and former player DeAngelo Benton in addition to first and second degree assault charges for gunshot wounds to John Robertson, Xavier Moss and then-football player Eric Mack.

While there is a chance for the trial to begin this year, older capital cases may take precedent.

Leonard is currently being held in Montgomery County Detention Facility.

Share and discuss “Date set for next hearing” on social media.