Kim Evans will return to coach women's golf at NCAA Championships

After being diagnosed with ovarian cancer last week, women's golf head coach Kim Evans will return to the course to lead the Tigers into the NCAA Championships May 21 in Athens, Ga.

Evans underwent surgery two weeks ago to remove a cyst on her left ovary that was later determined to be cancerous. She was unable to coach the team during their impressive play at the NCAA Regional in Auburn in which the Tigers finished eighth, enough to earn them a berth in the NCAA Championships.

After visiting with her doctors at UAB, Evans was cleared to coach the team through the end of the season. She was impressed with the team's play at the Auburn University Club this past week.

"My focus now has to be getting well, and let them go," Evans said. "This team is a special team. They could get in the car right now and take themselves and make Auburn proud in how they act and make Auburn proud in how they play."

Evans and her family have created a Facebook page "Rally For Coach Kim Evans" that includes updates on her health.

"It's hard to call everyone and tell them what my next step is...this way, we can post it on that Facebook page, people can keep up and have some fun with it," Evans said.

The Tigers compete in the NCAA Championships in Athens, Ga May 21-24 at the University of Georgia Golf Course.

Share and discuss “Kim Evans will return to coach women's golf at NCAA Championships” on social media.