Leonard to go to court today

Desmonte Leonard.
Desmonte Leonard.

On Thursday, May 16, alleged University Heights shooter Desmonte Leonard will appear for a status conference at the Lee County Justice Center.

Assuming they remember to bring him this time.

The hearing was originally scheduled for March 20, however, Leonard was forgotten in Montgomery where he is being held and the conference was delayed due to his absence.

At Thursday's hearing, Judge Jacob Walker is expected to select a date for Leonard's trial.

Leonard is allegedly responsible for shooting six people, killing three, at University Heights June 9, 2012.

On August 27, Leonard was indicted by the grand jury for one count of capital murder for allegedly killing Demario Pitts and former Auburn football players Ladarious Phillips and Ed Christian.

He was also indicted on two counts of attempted murder for allegedly shooting at Turquorius Vines and former player DeAngelo Benton in addition to first and second degree assault charges for gunshot wounds to John Robertson, Xavier Moss and then-football player Eric Mack.

Leonard's attorney Susan James, who orginally helped bring Leonard into custody following the shooting, is expected to motion for a change of venue. In addition, the defense is reportedly seeking permission to bring Leonard back to the scene of the crime.

Share and discuss “Leonard to go to court today” on social media.