Four Tigers drafted by MLB teams

Four Tigers in Garrett Cooper, Conner Kendrick, Will Kendall and Jay Gonzalez have earned chances to move to the major league.

The players were selected by the Brewers in the sixth round, the Yankees in the ninth round, the Pirates in the 30th round, and the Rangers in the 39th round of the 2013 MLB Draft, respectively.

Cooper was pick No. 182 in the draft, and ensured that at least one Auburn baseball player would be taken in the draft for the 39th consecutive year.

"This is probably one of the better feelings I have had in my life," Cooper said. "My advisor called me and the Brewers took me right on the spot. I didn't even have time to think about it."

Cooper, the Tigers' first baseman last season, earned a Second Team All-SEC Selection this season. He had a batting average of .354, which was good enough for seventh in the SEC in 2013, he slugged .540, had an on base percentage of .481, and smacked seven home runs.

"After my junior year and getting hurt at the end of the year I wanted to put on weight and thought that would pay dividends in my senior year," Cooper said. "I think it helped, hitting over .350 with seven bombs. We ended the season on a sour note but for myself I felt like I had a great season and that showed with the draft this year."

Along with similar career numbers for the Tigers, Cooper had a .989 fielding percentage while he wore the orange and blue jersey.

He is the highest selection in the draft for Auburn since 2011 when Dan Gamache was also drafted with the No. 182 pick by the Pirates.

As Kendrick is a junior, he has the option to remain at Auburn for another year and potentially get drafted in a higher round.

The left-handed pitcher went 5-3, struck out 75 batters, and posted a 2.13 ERA in 80 1/3 innings.

Kendall returned from Tommy John surgery this year and the left handed pitcher went 0-5 with a 7.54 ERA in nine appearances.

Gonzalez was suspended for the 2013 season but hit .289 when he was eligible.

Share and discuss “Four Tigers drafted by MLB teams” on social media.