Auburn School of Communication and Journalism enters partnership with Raycom Media

Raycom Media's company logo. (CONTRIBUTED)

The College of Liberal Arts' School of Communication and Journalism announced Aug. 28 the beginning of a partnership with Raycom Media, Inc.
Raycom Media is one of the nation's largest broadcasters, and owns or provides services for 53 television stations in 36 markets and 18 states, according to its website.
As a result of this partnership, the release stated a "state-of-the-art studio" will be built a block from campus on Gay Street for student and Raycom use.
Raycom Media will house a news bureau in the studio, allowing Auburn students pursuing multimedia journalism to learn more about the field in a hands-on environment.
According to the press release, this method of teaching and learning journalism has been "strongly advocated for by media executives and journalism foundations."
Last fall, these advocates and executives issued an open letter to University presidents, detailing the need for a side-by-side, journalistic education because of the consistently changing nature of the field.
"News consumption habits are rapidly changing, and that calls for new ways to prepare tomorrow's multimedia professionals," said Auburn University President Jay Gogue in the release. "We're excited about where this innovative partnership will position Auburn in the communication and journalism profession."
Paul McTear, Raycom Media president and CEO, added details about the partnership.
"Raycom Media will provide studio equipment, editing software, cameras, sets, furniture and professional expertise as a means to guide and further educate journalism students. The partnership will help students learn how to handle the challenges of today's news operation," McTear said. "It will also demonstrate the importance of journalistic integrity, while providing Auburn students with an understanding of the need to quickly disseminate news on multiple platforms. In addition, this is a tremendous vehicle for the news gathering industry to identify and grow those up and coming journalists for our fields."
Valued at more than $350,000, Raycom Media's investment through the partnership with Auburn will provide students with "technology, time and training."
The studio is expected to open by October 2014.

Share and discuss “Auburn School of Communication and Journalism enters partnership with Raycom Media” on social media.