Editorial: Auburn students, Auburn consumers

Do you think Auburn takes your education seriously?
Admittedly, that's a strange question.
Of course the University takes our education seriously, right?
They wouldn't exist if they didn't care about education and making the world a better place. It's not like Auburn is one of those wacky diploma-mill schools.
They don't have any ludicrous programs, such as six-month MBAs or eight-week paralegal certificates, and they work hard to keep their accreditation.
If you get a degree from Auburn, it means something.
So, maybe it's better to question what that degree means. In other words, how much of your time and money is spent on academic pursuits?
We can't study every day, all day. In the immortal words of Sweet Brown, "Ain't nobody got time for that!" A lot of us have jobs, and some of us have more than one.
When we are on campus, we generally want to go to class and learn. Tuition is painfully high, and most of us don't want to waste it.
Yet, the amount of unnecessary, and downright decadent amenities suggests the University is shifting its priorities to attracting more new students, more customers.
Think about the new Recreation and Wellness Center, which is called the Rec by the ultra-hip staff. Many of the students who funded this facility through their tuition dollars have graduated, and they aren't allowed to set foot in the Rec unless it is for a tour.
Yes, the Rec is a great place to break a sweat, but it's also way over the top.
Do we need a rock climbing wall? Do we need a hot tub that can seat 45 people?
The old Student Activities Center was similar to a musty, old garage. There wasn't enough equipment to go around, and during the summer it doubled as an oven.
But now we have the exact opposite. A massive facility built by a University that seems to value form over function, unless that function is making money.
The Rec is just one of many examples of the profit-driven business Auburn is turning into.
Samsung, Microsoft and Verizon all pay for advertising space on campus, and there is even a small Verizon store in the Student center.
All of this seems to serve no purpose other than making money. Despite how much we pay in tuition, despite how much we have to pay for food, the University is always asking for more.
This is not so much a call to action, but a call to think.
Your Auburn education relies on the quality of the academic elements. Not the lifestyle accouterments that seem to be taking over.

Share and discuss “Editorial: Auburn students, Auburn consumers” on social media.