SGA senate meeting takes steps to ridding Jordan-Hare Stadium of hate speech

Even Jordan-Hare stadium, the geographical and spiritual center of Auburn University, is not immune to hate crimes, discrimination and racial slurs.
A resolution was passed at the Student Government Association senate meeting Monday, Nov. 18, to urge administrators to create a committee dedicated to promoting community, safety and a respectful campus environment inside Jordan-Hare stadium in response to numerous reports of hate speech committed during football games.
"Being a student athlete, we're in our own little bubble," said Alyse Scott, goaltender on the soccer team and sophomore in human development and family studies. "People think we're untouchable, but we're students here and this topic tonight concerns us. I believe that athletes would hate to know that this is happening during athletic events, to know that people are afraid and unwilling to attend because they feel they will be attacked."
The resolution calls for administrators in, but not limited to, athletics, the Department of Public Safety and Security, the Office of Diversity and Multicultural affairs and representatives from the Graduate school.
The resolution does not create a committee, nor does it specify how the committee should fulfill it goals, but rather calls for a committee to seek the best solution to streamlining reporting and responses to incidents at other athletics events.
"The only thing that we're recommending is that a committee exists because we felt that we're not in the business of micromanaging the University, " said Sam Wilcox, Liberal Arts senator. "We chose Jordan Hare because it's symbolic on campus, but that doesn't mean this committee is not going to look at all athletic arenas. The committee will be looking at Auburn's campus as a whole."
Although a formal request will be sent to administrators, there is no timetable yet for when the committee will be created or when action will be taken.
In addition to the creation of the committee, carryover-funding requests were approved for the Welcome Week committee, UPC, student media, graduate school, the Center for Community Service, SGA, the Center for Leadership and Ethics and Intercultural Programs.
An amendment to SGA voting procedure was passed calling for the randomization of ballot positions to promote fairness and eliminate confusion among candidates.
A plaque was approved for the Toomer's Oak recently planted on the AU Greenspace near Keller Hall in the lower quad.

Share and discuss “SGA senate meeting takes steps to ridding Jordan-Hare Stadium of hate speech” on social media.