Soccer defeats Alabama, qualifies for SEC Tournament

Kim Spence fighting for the ball against Alabama. (Contributed by Auburn Athletics)

The Auburn soccer team continued its hot streak and kept its playoff hopes alive with a third consecutive SEC victory Thursday night Oct. 31 while earning a win at Tuscaloosa over Alabama in the Iron Bowl of Soccer.
With Auburn's 1-0 victory against Alabama they are able to keep the Iron Bowl trophy at home in Auburn and they also have won six out of the last seven matches against Alabama.
Going into the game Auburn needed to win and not come out with a tie in order to stay alive for the last spot in the SEC Tournament.
Auburn did their job and got the win.
Now they have to play the waiting game and see how Arkansas and Tennessee finish out their regular seasons in order to potentially jump up to get that last spot in the SEC Tournament. A four-way tie is even possible which would have to be sorted out with tiebreakers.
After an evenly played first half, Auburn got on the board in the final minute of the first half with a goal from 10 yards out by forward Chelsea Gandy-Cromer assisted by Jordan Miller.
Midway through the second half Auburn attacked with two consecutive shots on goal, but both attempts were blocked. Alabama and Auburn were even at eight shots each.
Then at the end of the second half Alabama kept getting goal opportunities.
With 11 minutes remaining Alabama had a clear shot on goal from five yards out but the kick went wide right. A few minutes later Alabama's offense continued to attack with two shots in a row, but one was blocked and the other hit the cross bar.
With only a minute left, Alabama got its final shot off and it hit the cross bar again.
-----------------
UPDATE (10 p.m.): The Tigers have qualified for the SEC Tournament as the No. 10 seed after Thursday night's late conference results. They will face No. 7 seed LSU at 4 p.m. Monday, Nov. 4 in Orange Beach.

Share and discuss “Soccer defeats Alabama, qualifies for SEC Tournament” on social media.