OPINION: Sports need more Richard Shermans

Thank you, Richard Sherman.
I am not a Seattle Seahawks fan, but I would like to thank you for your last-second deflection in the NFC Championship Game, one that led to a game-ending interception.
It's not exactly the play for which I'm most thankful, Richard. (May I call you Richard?)
As soon as the clock hit all zeroes, FOX's Erin Andrews found you in the midst of the Seattle celebration and asked you about that one play.
The next 20 seconds ignited the entire sports world.
You called out 49ers receiver Michael Crabtree, a player you have feuded with all season long. You called him "mediocre." You told him to stop running his mouth, because you just proved that you could shut it.
People immediately took to Twitter and gave their instant reaction to your interview. (Mine was the simple, yet profound "RICHARD SHERMAN.")
Some called you a thug. Some called you classless.
I'll call you a role model.
Wait, let me finish -- a role model for other athletes. (I'm sure there are parents out there who wouldn't want their kids going full Richard Sherman on the playground.)
You just made the play of your life and refused to give a canned answer. You spoke from your heart.
In sportswriting, you get a ton of bland responses to questions. It's always the same answers.
"It was a good game." "We played hard."
But maybe your interview, Richard, despite the negative response you received from others, will help inspire other athletes.
Maybe they will tell us how they really feel and not always take the safe route.
Sports need more Richard Shermans.
They make for better stories. Everyone wins.

Share and discuss “OPINION: Sports need more Richard Shermans” on social media.