Checkers located on Glenn Avenue and Gay Street catches fire Monday evening

Parts of Glenn Avenue and Gay Street were closed Monday, July 7, due to the fire at Checkers.

A fire broke out at Checkers located at the intersection of Glenn Avenue and Gay Street around 11 p.m. Monday, July 7.
Auburn Fire Department battalion chief Matthew Jordan said the fire involved the vent for the fryer.
Checkers was open and had three employees at the time of the fire.
There were no injuries in the incident.
"(Employees) pulled the hood extinguishing unit and evacuated," Jordan said. "When we arrived we could see flames from the top of the structure."
Jordan said when there is a build up of grease the fryer is more susceptible to fires.
"Speculation could be that grease accumulated inside that could catch fire, so we're very fortunate. It was a quick put out and the damage was very minimal and only extended to their vent, which extends up to the roof."
There is no structural damage to the building at this time.
Jordan said grease fires are the most common fires in restaurants.
"It's not surprising that (the fire) would start there in a place like this," Jordan said.
Parts of Glenn Avenue and Gay Street were closed.
"We're making sure that it's extinguished and no extension into the structure of the building," Jordan said. "We found some heat signatures using our thermal imaging camera and we're making sure they're normal."
Units will remain on the scene to monitor heat signatures.
"We're going to keep someone on the scene for at least another hour and a half," Jordan said.
Checkers employees declined to comment.

Share and discuss “Checkers located on Glenn Avenue and Gay Street catches fire Monday evening” on social media.