Starbucks opens in College of Business' Lowder lounge

A ribbon cutting ceremony for the new lounge took place Aug. 8. (Raye May | Photo Editor)

Students and faculty will have a new location to grab a coffee, bite to eat and relax in between classes starting this fall.
College of Business dean Bill Hardgrave officially opened the new Lowder Student and Faculty Lounge on Friday, Aug. 8, with a ribbon cutting ceremony attended by more than 75 people.
"This is a fantastic facility for our students and faculty," Hardgrave said.
The 3,240 square foot expansion on the east side of Lowder Hall will feature a full-service Starbucks, as well as indoor seating for 112 people.
Kim Welch, representative for Starbucks, said she was happy with the partnership.
"I can't tell you how excited we are to be a part of this," Welch said. "We want to invite you to experience our passion for coffee."
Students and faculty on the north side of campus will no longer have to walk to the Student Center to get their daily Starbucks fix.
"I go to the Student Center for Starbucks, and the line is always extremely long," said Lamar Seibenhener, research associate in molecular biology. "I am hoping with the new option, the Student Center line will decrease, and I can get in and out."
The lounge has the typical Starbucks feel, with lounge chairs situated next to the ordering area and standard chairs and tables located throughout the rest of the lounge.
The lounge is accessible from the ground floor of Lowder Hall and via the sidewalk on the east side of the building.
In addition, outdoor seating will also be available when weather permits.
Built by Lyman Davidson Dooley Inc., construction costs were estimated at $978,000.
After the ribbon cutting, attendees were given samples of different flavors of coffee, along with a selection of pastries that the lounge will offer.
During the fall semester, the lounge will be open 7 a.m. - midnight on weekdays.
On Saturday, hours will be from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. and 9 a.m.-9 p.m. on Sunday, respectively.
"We are excited about the opening," Hardgrave said after cutting the ceremonial ribbon. "We hope this place is packed at all times."

Share and discuss “Starbucks opens in College of Business' Lowder lounge” on social media.