LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Lessons have been learned

(Why a pink logo? The Auburn Plainsman is going pink for the month of October in support of Breast Cancer Awareness.)

In response to Editorial: Are they leading by example?

Editor,
I am writing in response to the article and editorial about the SGA members and the taken newspapers.
One thing we pride ourselves in as a University and a student body is being the "Auburn Family." With that in mind, it's sad to see how The Plainsman has abused their voice as the major media outlet on campus to excessively shame fellow students with no regard to the countless hours of work they put in on a weekly basis to better this University.
Did Smith and Weir fail in doing what was best for Auburn in their decisions to take the newspapers? Yes. Was that decision selfish and immature? Yes. But what happens when a family member makes a mistake? You accept that they have to pay the consequences - $830 is no small fine for a college student - but through it all, you support them as they make amends and move forward. You don't seek unnecessary or excessive punishment, you don't continue holding it over their head, and you don't throw out all the good things they have done prior.
The journalism employed by The Plainsman staff, and the editor-in-chief at that, is reckless and unprofessional. The cover article uses the word "stealing" multiple times for an act that the article itself stated was deemed to not be theft. Also, the editorial calls into question Smith and Weir's ability to lead our student body in their current roles because of their lapses in judgment. The sign of an effective leader is not inerrancy, but rather how he/she responds when mistakes are made. I can get behind a passionate, while maybe imperfect, leader who owns up to his mistakes and strives to learn from them any day of the week.
We have all made questionable or immature decisions in the heat of the moment. Restitution has been made, remorse has been expressed and lessons have been learned. Now, let's show some grace to our Auburn brothers who have accepted their punishment, and stand beside them as they learn and grow as student leaders, exercise better judgment in the future, and represent the Auburn Family that we all know and love.
Sincerely,
Connor Graves

Connor Graves is a Student Recruiter.

Graves can be reached via email at jcg0023@auburn.edu and on Twitter @ConnorGraves

Share and discuss “LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Lessons have been learned” on social media.